Almost ready for my first loads...

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by .308 shooter, Aug 18, 2008.

1. .308 shooter

.308 shooter New Member

Thanks to everyone for your advice and suggestions.

LDBennet... your explanation of the neck sizing versus FL sizing seems as if you actually wrote the manuals. I had read that section already and your explanation is exactly what they had written. Your knowledge is remarkeable....as is everyone elses.

I've been looking at everything in the books, studying them and I'm just about ready to begin, the only thing I'm lacking is the bench to mount the press to. Other than that I'm ready to load my first batch.

I have one more question:
    I've been looking over the manuals again.... probably 3rd or 4th time. I just noticed a section in there for .308 Winchester Service Rifles. The primary difference I've noticed is the rifling twist rate (along with different load data - obviously) The Service Rifle has a twist rate of 1 in 10 (same as my Savage 10FP), the "Regular" Winchester has a twist rate of 1 in 12. I should be using the Service Rifle data correct? Also the Speer Manual does not recognize the difference, how should I compensate/
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  2. artabr

artabr New Member

.308 shooter,
    You probably want to stick with the "regular" data. "Service Rifle" in this instance refers to gas operated semi-automatic weapons such as the M1A/M-14 or the M-1 Garand. The AR-10 and AR15/M-16 type rifles are also Service rifles.
    It would be a help to us if you told us which manual and manual number, and page number your are looking at. It'll save us that are trying to help from going through 6 or 7 manuals. In my case I went through 8 manuals and haven't found the Service rifle data you refer to. :)

In one of your other threads, you talked about getting a Sierra manual. If you look in the Sierra manual at the bottom of the chart on the page for 168 grain Match Kings in .308 Win. you will see an accuracy load showing 2600 fps. If you play around with the loads listed in that 2600 fps column you'll be close to where you want to be. I use VV N-150, This is not a powder that works well with barrels shorter than 25"

Art
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  3. .308 shooter

.308 shooter New Member

Thanks.... and for the record, I have the Speer #14 and the Hornady 7th edition manuals.

The question then becomes... the difference in twist rate isn't that signifcant when considering loads? I think someone addressed this in an earlier post, I'll have to go back and check it out again.

Thanks again.