1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Alox mix vs. Pan-Lube

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by bayhawk2, Feb 27, 2011.

1. bayhawk2

bayhawk2 New Member

Which is really better?The Liquid Alox is just so simple.
    Squirt a little in a Folgers 2 Lb. plastic container,a tad
    of mineral spirits,add the bullets,shake and roll around
    a bit,pour onto wax paper and let dry.
    Pan-Lube?Well we all know the process.Heat up the mix,
    take the bullets and do the stack in the silicone pan thing.
    etc.
    So is Pan-Lubeing really better?Does Liquid Alox get the job done?
  2. mikld

mikld Active Member

Both methods have worked for me. With alox, I thin with mineral spirits, swirl, and set them base down on wax paper/tin foil. The thinned alox will drain down off the nose of the bullet, keeping the seater die cleaner. Lately I've been using 45-45-10 (alox, Johnson's Paste wax, mineral spirits) with good results. I mostly TL my wadcutters and low powered Special ammo (38 and 44) but many have used alox on rifle ammo up into the 2000+ fps range. I like pan lubing and I make my own Speed Green and use Carnuba Red and 50-50. Sometimes adjustments are made (addition of paraffin or lanolin) to ease "punching out" bullets from the cake or I use a cutter for stubborn lubes. Neither method, tumble or pan lubing, is any messier than you are. I don't have any problems with drips, spills, goopy hands or messy tools/pans, etc. I don't have a lubersizer and don't plan on getting one soon as these two methods along with my Lee sizer dies is doing everything I need for shooting cast boolits...