alright guys and gals, i need some help AGAIN!

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

CaliCollector
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/5/03 5:34:45 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All
    ezSupporter
    alright guys and gals, i need some help AGAIN!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ive finally decided i NEED a M1 Garand, cant live without one, gotsa have one, if i dont get one im going to lose all sense of control,decency and respectability and end up buying some POS to satisfy my need for a Garand... heres where i need the help at... quite frankly my budget doesnt allow me to buy a real Garand, or even one of the commercially produced parts guns on a new reciever, soooooooooo im looking for a GOOD QUALITY receiver that wont set me into the hole too bad... could be original USGI, could be a new manufacture, as long as its good stuff, ya know? my plan is to get a receiver, then a parts kit, and put one together saving alittle money... or am i totally thinking with me head up me backside again?? ive done a fair amount of searching around on my own, and quite honestly i dont know whats good and whats bad in this area... i noticed that the evil CAI has cast steel or stainless steel receivers for the M1 Garand, but couldnt get a price on them, and have no idea on the quality, but with CAi's rep im afraid that they are suspect at best... any help, input, advice here would be appreciated... thanks fer bailin me butt out again, Ray in California
    p.s. i just bought myself a 1903-A3 sporter, REAL NICE condition, probly 95% blueing, cost me $350, nice clean sharp barrel/rifling... how did i do??

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/5/03 10:07:20 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: alright guys and gals, i need some help AGAIN!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Garands are not my area of expertise...wouldnt mind having one though. I will track your efforts with interest...please report back on your eventual purchase.
    One of our resident garandheads will report back soon I'm sure. swede
    Wyoming Swede

ThePitbullofLove
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/5/03 10:30:46 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: alright guys and gals, i need some help AGAIN!
    Okay, my $.02.

Century receivers are cast. USGI receivers are Forged. Most gunsmiths who specialize in Garands will not work on non-USGI receivers. The problem is that some of these forged receivers are out of spec. See Fulton Armory's website for details (they have some documents showing how Century & Lithgow receivers are out of spec-that's why they refuse to work on them).

Now, the CMP sells USGI stripped receivers for $250-300.
    They also sell Danish Rack grade Grands for $375 and Dane service grade for $400. I think it would be difficult to buy a Garand clone, or a receiver & parts kit and have it assembled for less that $375 or $400.

Plus the CMP guns will actually have collector value and continue to appreciate, while collector value on a Century gun is nil.

life is the crummiest book I ever read,
    there isn't a hook, just a lot of cheap shots,
    pictures to shock and characters an amateur would never dream up-Guerwitz-1994

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/5/03 11:08:42 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: alright guys and gals, i need some help AGAIN!
    Can't help with the Garand but can offer a small bit on the 03A3. You probably did pretty good there. You just need to know that 03A3's were mostly parkerized not blued originally so this one has had the parkerizing stripped off and then been reblued. Great weapon to shoot and my sporterized one is dang accurate as far as I've taken it - though mine is in far worse shape than yours.

All in all congrats on the new rifle - and I'm already envious

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/5/03 1:56:32 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    CMP is the way to go I don't think you can get one a better way.

Here is the link to the CMP.

www.odcmp.com/

I have one of their Garands and love it

Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

CaliCollector
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/5/03 3:14:00 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    now heres where i REALLY show my backside and ignorance.... how hard is it to obtain a rifle thru the CMP?? CMP is the same as the DCM right?? checkin out this link Warpig, but id like to hear some first hand experience from those who trudged thru the "muck" before me, maybe a few tips and some advice?? still wants to build up a Garand though... buddy of mine just gave me a pre-war mauser (8mm large ring) that his uncle brought back during ww2, on the condition that i figure out the bolt action of my dreams, and then build it on that receiver... so ive kinda got the building/tinkering bug right now... that mauser is going to be a very expensive project, and will be done slowly over time... but i wantsa build me a real mans rifle NOW! lol... been thinking about pickin me up one of them stripped M1 Carbine receivers and then locating a parts kit, and put one of those together too.. i still aint gave up on wanting a lil M1... ahhh hell guys, then ive gotta tinker on a MN, wich i havent bought yet... so many projects soo little money.... that CMP Garand sounds like the way to go on the cheap, and get a REAL rifle out of the deal, gonna try that route also
    TLynn- thanks fer the congrats on me A3... once my wait is up, and i take it out and shoot it, ill let ya know how it does... if it shoots as well as the others ive shot,and as well as it looks.. should have me a tack driver... speakin of those 1903's you ever see/hear about those replacement bolt assemblies that contain an inverted magazine that held like 30 rounds and turned the 03 into a 30 cal semi auto?? was a rather limited number mod done during ww1 i believe to maximize the rifles effectiveness and fire power in trench warfare, cant remember what that lil assembly was called though. always wanted a working repro though to go with a 1903.. any suggestions or general directions to go on that one??? thanks folks Ray in California
    "Beware the man with only one gun, chances are he KNOWS how to use it."

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/5/03 7:47:35 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    CaliCollector - yes I have. They did that to some of the 1903 Mark I's - cut a ejection area on the left of the receiver, installed a pedersen device (less of those made than actual rifles) and you'd be hard pressed to find one (pederson device) complete anymore.

Got the 03 Mark I - but I guess I'll stick with it being bolt action.

CaliCollector
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/5/03 9:22:34 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    RE: pederson device
    thanks TLynn.. i just couldnt remember the name of the thing... always thought that was a neat lil variation... might be kind of a cool conversation peice to have around, a repro i mean.. i seriously doubt that a real one could be afforded by many people... many thanks TLynn
    Ray in California aka the PRK
    btw.. think that neat lil device would pass the scrutiny of the PRK Nazis?lol had to give ya a laugh atleast

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/5/03 11:17:33 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Garand from CMP
    CaliCollector,

It is not really hard to qualify for a CMP Garand. The requiremnts are on the website. But basically just join a shooting club that shoots rifle competition matches and shoot a few matches and you qualify. Or if you are military I think you can get one.

Yes CMP/DCM is the same thing. They had a name change. CMP rifles are also guarnateed to be within serviceable specs. They do satnd behind the rifle if there is a problem with it when you get it. They also sell parts and ammo.

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/6/03 1:59:24 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Garand from CMP
    pitbulloflove covered it. Not getting one for less than $400, so as long as you are in that ballpark anyway, go CMP.

Mine is a BlueSky junker, has a '42 Springfield Receiver, and a horrible-looking bore, but it's surprisingly VERY accurate.

I also replaced the stock with a Reinhart Fajen CNC-milled Walnut, for a cheap price. Sometime before he closed up shop / sold the business.

My costs 12-13yrs ago - $275 for the Rifle. $75 for the stock.

Rich

CaliCollector
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/6/03 2:12:30 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Garand from CMP
    sounds good guys, tween you and an email i got from an unknown source (wich if your from this forum THANKYA again!) has more than convinced me to go the CMP/DCM route... ive actually found a couple clubs near me that are listed as CMP members... so that part is out of the way.. just have to go talk with them... NOW my next silly question, might not be so silly, i dunno, WHAT do i shoot the CMP matches with while waiting on the CMP Garand??? will they accept my 1903-A3 sporter? do they have loaner rifles? do i just pull the scope off my deer rifle? that Gibbs #7 Jungle Carbine that i have?? it says i have to shoot a match... can anyone offer an experienced answer here? Warpig?? thanks again, you folks aint let me down yet!! now if i can ever find a way to repay the favors.. Ray in California

ThePitbullofLove
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/6/03 6:25:04 am)
    Most will have loaner rifles. You can, however, use whatever you'd like in you qualification. When I shot my qualification match, an older gentleman next to me shot the whole match with a 1903 Springfield.

life is the crummiest book I ever read,
    there isn't a hook, just a lot of cheap shots,
    pictures to shock and characters an amateur would never dream up-Guerwitz-1994

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/6/03 11:43:34 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Yep, Pitbulls got it

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/6/03 12:59:52 pm)
    here's some more torture for CaliCollector

Rich

CaliCollector
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/6/03 2:54:34 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    lol Rayra.... ahhh all the nice lil things that are alil tough to own here anymore.. least the flash suppressor sporting fun stuff... thanks for the stroll down memory lane!! i sure do miss the guns i owned when i lived in Nevada... but being afraid to get caught doin anything remotly illegal.. i sold them all when i moved back to california...
    thankya all for the info guys!! if any of ya are interested.. ive actaully started finding SOME receivers... most are CAST jobs,, some forged though... and ive even found some lil M1 Carbine receivers... Iver Johnson though... was their Carbines as much of a POS as their other guns??? the search goes on.. but those receivers for the Garands are steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep, aint nuthing econimical about a forged unit so far... ill keep ya all updated until i get too fed up with it.. Ray in California

Silver72
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/8/03 12:57:20 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Garand
    I don't thimk you can beat a CMP Garand for the amount invested. Besides you get a peice of history to boot, mmm to shoot!

ruffitt
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/8/03 2:15:11 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    If memory serves, back when I got my CMP Garand (for $165.00 plus shipping), it was a requirement to belong to a CMP affiliated club, shoot a 50 round "qualification" with a 30 cal rifle having open sights, and you not be prohibited by federal, state, or local law from purchasing or possessing a rifle.

Doubt if things have changed much since then.