The Firearms Forum banner

Alright Who's Buying All the Collets???

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  carver 
#1 ·
In Jan I decided to order a .35 and a .27 collet for my RCBS bullet puller...I knew with the fake hysteria drummed up by the regime and its propagandist media,some items may be scarce.......I've had these 2 items on backorder with 8-yes-8 places since then....really glad I didn't order any powder,primers,etc....Crazy

#3 ·
If you're in a bind and realy need to get those bullets pulled, you can get an inertia bullet puller just about anywhere. I use the one made by RCBS. 1 collet fits all.

But..... if for some reason you are going to dismantle a few hundred or something, than good luck finding those collets.:eek:

#5 ·
About like anything else ammo related. Nobody has it, a few can order it. It's the horders buying it all up!

#6 ·
#7 ·
Pass on the inertia pullers-messy and I've destroyed 6 in 25yrs....bah-I love my RCBS collet puller...it's just what a weird item to be backlogged for so long.....but then again I had a guy wanting to buy 3 mags I have for a mg that to the best of my knowledge only 3 are on NFA registry....it seems people will buy anything nowadays.

#8 ·
Yep, I had a .22 collet on backorder for quite a while. Finally got it a week or so back. I ended up nabbing one off ebay for the 9mm. Damn hoarders that don't shoot and just want to gouge people are buying stuff up and reselling. I hope when inventory catches up they get stuck with a bunch of **** sitting at their homes or shops.

#10 ·
I have been using the RCBS hammer type for about 35+ years (the same one) and it does work fine. I did notice this past week that the aluminium shaft has a slight bend in it now. I learned from TFF, just a few weeks ago, that you can replace that universal collet with a regular shell holder of what ever caliber you are pulling. I have been using it that way ever since.

I also have the RCBS die type pullet with different collets. I pretty much only use it when I have a bunch to do, but I attempted to use it last week to pull about a dozen .308s that would not chamber in my rifle. It would not pull the bullets, so I used the kinetic puller and it worked fine but took a whole lot of hammering.

#11 ·
The shortages are not companies limiting their output (they are all working at full steam) or the Government diverting the supply, or any other conspirator scheme, but the hoarders who buy everything they see and stock it away. Some unscrupulous people buy up everything and re-sale it at a huge profit. Eventually the whole of the system will be saturated and the hoarding will quit (I hope!!!!). I have enough supplies and ammo for now but if it goes on much beyond the end of the year I may run short in some cartridge components and 22 ammo.

Inertia pullers: They work best when used on a hard surface like a concrete floor and not so much on a table top. Don't use spray cleaner to clean them as the propellant comes out at some very low temperature and the plastic will crack (Don't ask how I know that). I have had exactly two in 25 years of reloading. I destroyed the first one, shortly after buying it, with the spray cleaner. The second one is still going strong.

I have a collet puller and it works fine if you are careful and don't distort the bullet by over tightening. You have to grab the parallel part of the bullet body or it just slips off.

LDBennett

#12 ·
Yep, I had a .22 collet on backorder for quite a while. Finally got it a week or so back. I ended up nabbing one off ebay for the 9mm. Damn hoarders that don't shoot and just want to gouge people are buying stuff up and reselling. I hope when inventory catches up they get stuck with a bunch of **** sitting at their homes or shops.
Is it because the manufacturers have bigger fish to fry?
Add these two together, and I think we have a possible answer to the shortage of anything ammo related! I've been saying this for almost a year now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.