Alternative Chamber Casting Methods

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/27/03 1:54:24 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Poor man's chamber casting methods?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I need to get some chamber casts of some of my Turk Mausers. I don't want to have to pay a 'smith to do it, and I don't want to invest in any high-dollar equipment.

I'm not so much interested in getting all the dimensions of the chamber walls as I am in the shoulder angle. That's what I'm after.

Does anybody have any suggestions on a home-done version of a chamber casting? I think something like fiberglass resin would work well, if I could somehow guarantee that it wouldn't glue itself to the chamber walls.
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/27/03 2:05:26 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Poor man's chamber casting methods?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cerro-Safe is really inexpensive and that is the material we use in the shop to make chamber castings. Available from Brownells.

PASQUOT
    (1/28/03 12:12:12 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Chamber casting
    Hi guys
    I have never heard of chamber casting. could you tell me more about it. What kind of info can you obtain from it, etc?

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/28/03 12:38:08 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Chamber casting
    A chamber cast will give you the internal dimensions and characteristics of the chamber. It's damn near impossible to take any measurements inside the chamber with conventional tools. So rather than measuring inside, it's easier to take a chamber casting that will give you something that is the opposite of the chamber. A good chamber casting will show any defects or marks in the chamber wall, and allow you to use calipers to measure the outside diameter of the casting, which should be the same as the inside diameter of the chamber.

What about candle wax? Has anyone ever tried that? If I lightly oiled the chamber and dripped melted wax in there, would it come out in one piece?

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/28/03 3:03:35 pm)
    Good question, Sniper -

Don't know if the shrinkage would be more than cerro-safe, or not. Would be a lot more delicate to remove and more prone to extraneous markings. Might give it a try and see how it works out!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

skratch
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/2/03 10:28:37 am)
    Sniper, I used wax once for a chamber cast, it worked OK but it's touchy getting a measurement without distorting the wax. I just plugged the bore and stood the barrel on end, melted the wax in a small container and poured it in. It took quite a while for it to cool. I had to puddle extra on top, like letting the sprue on a bullet mold build up to compensate for shrinkage.

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/2/03 11:24:35 am)
    Thanks, skratch. The only measurement I'm interested in at the moment is the angle of the shoulder. I'm fairly certain I can measure that without even necessarily having to touch the wax.

I'm glad to hear someone else has tried this before. Now I don't feel like such a cheapskate. I bought some paraffin wax the other day, and I'm going to give it a shot.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/2/03 12:00:45 pm)
    Be sure to let us know how it works out, Sniper -
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

PASQUOT
    (2/5/03 11:37:04 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Chamber casting

Would this be the way to determine the oal of a cartridge that just touches the lands?

In other words, can you determine what seating depth the bullet should be?

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/5/03 1:44:55 pm)
    And yet, another good question, Pasquot!

I'm sure Sniper will let us know soon what the results were.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/5/03 3:23:50 pm)
    I will, I promise. Haven't had a chance yet to try it. Maybe this weekend, since the weather is supposed to SUCK. They're talking about snow! In San Antonio!

scarface
    (2/19/03 8:04:35 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del bullet to land
    What I wanted to share with you is in the tech. forum,must have hit new topic instead of reply.

Sigtrygg
    (2/20/03 5:17:56 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: bullet to land
    Hi Forum!

Glad I can Help you this Time!

For this Method the Chamber has to ABSOLUTELY Grease- and Oil-Free!

Push a TIGHT Plug into the barrel, the Plugs push through to clean the Barrels work fine. Or an oversized peace of cloth...

then melt Sulfur. Be careful, melt slowly and DO IT OUTSIDE!!!
    The smell is... interesting!

Then pour the melted Sulfur from behind into the chamber and let it cool down.

Now you can push the hard Sulfur out of the Chamber by inserting a rod through the muzzle. Some Punches sometimes help

The cooled-down Sulfur feels a little like Hard Latex in the beginning, but that disappears after a while.

You can do your measurements now. If you placed the Barrel-Plug deep enough in the Barrel, you can also measure how long the Piece in your Barrel is before the Rifling begins.

Shrinking appears when the Sulfur is Yellow again. Before it is Zero!

Good luck.

Michael

Edited by: Sigtrygg at: 2/20/03 5:42:30 am