Alternative weapons

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by ampaterry, May 22, 2009.

1. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

OK, I just have to bring this up.
    I have nunchucks, and enjoy flailing around with them.
    I have a shogun sword that is a real hoot to slash imagined enemies with.
    I have a three blade 'shredder' throwing knife that opens up when thrown, spinning like a lawn mower as it goes through the air.
    I have half a dozen ninja throwing stars that I mess around with.

Now the question.
    Does ANYONE actually use any of this crap against a genuine assailant?
    I mean, the nunchucks sure would hurt, and the sword can do someone in, but the shredder and the throwing stars? It looks to me like they would just make someone mad if they got hit with them -
  2. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Not to mention that a jury would convict you of manslaughter, or aggravated assault to use these as a defense mechanism. I could see the sword, if you didn't have a gun handy. Just remember, don't bring a knife/sword/blade to a gun fight. :eek::D

The throwing knives and stars are fun, but that's about it.

As for the chucks, naw man, that means you're up close and personal. Distance is your friend. I'd rather have 30 inches of blade between myself and an attacker than those chucks. Just my humble opinion.

Of course, here in NY, you can't use/own any of that crap. :mad:
  3. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

Just remember this, there is no such thing as a fair fight, if your in any danger, grab the nearest object that can be used to slash, stab, blugeon, impail, and so on and thats the end of the fight.

My 2 cents
  4. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I got a nice 34 ounce metal soft ball bat,
  5. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Have you ever handled a marlin spike, used for working rope and cable.
    I can pin a mans head to a tree with my marlin spike, A little known weapon of the high seas. argh..
  6. Jimdo

Jimdo New Member

I think that it is prolly more of a question of having 'chucks on your person when one needs 'em in a defensive situation. I don't know anyone ... ANYONE , who has ever daily carried a set of nunchucks.
    Or a sword , throwing stars, etc. for that matter. Though the term 'alternative weapons' can embrace many, many things that have been used as weapons I'm sure.
    When it hits the fan, use whatever ya can to defend yourself if your afraid that your life is in danger.
  7. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i keesterstash half a dozen ninja stars on a regular basis, i feel very well armed, and noone knows... although they think i might have messed myself by the way i walk
  8. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

:eek:keester-stash
  9. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I have no real opinion or experience of them, but at least one CQB instructor I know, an Israeli, speaks highly of the sword. It wont replace the 12g, but might make a good back up.

The big problem with most alternatives is that to be effective you need to put in a lot of practice. And practice is ony useful if you have had some decent instruction, much like firearms.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2009
  10. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

most every american has pratice and experience with a louisville slugger :D. and i have a asp ( retractable baton) i love that thing and it rides with me in the car between the console and the drivers seat.
  11. ampaterry

That sounds a bit uncomfortable - :eek:

I have gone for walks with a pair of chucks draped around my neck, but more for one of the nieghbors nasty dogs than for human encounters.

My wife thinks a 66 year old guy walking down the road with nun-chucks looks sort of weird, though.
    Perhaps it would look better if I wore my nice white gee and colored belt? :D
  12. 45nut

45nut Active Member

I like the samurai sword, but have no training in its use. I carry a Boker Automat Kalashnikov 74 clipped in my strong side back pocket. It's fast and sharp and quite handy. I need to get some more training with it though.

I like the ASP idea. They are very handy and deliver a lot of punch.
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  13. Just One Shot

Just One Shot Member

As a teenager I was pretty proficient with a set of chucks and I carried them everywhere.

I had an incident where my girl friend (who is now my wife) and I were walking by the Senior High School after dark and 2 guys, who were standing on the steps to a side entrance, decided to make a comment about my girl.

I instructed her to keep walking as I turned around to face the 2 smart mouths. I pulled the chucks and did a few twirls around my body while moving towards them. Both guys saw that I wasn't in the mood for any of their crap and bolted through the door while offering an apology as they fled.

Don't be fooled into thinking that chucks aren't deadly. They can generate over 1300 lbs. of force which is more than enough to crush a skull or break a bone.

I still have a set somewhere but it's been a long time since I took the time to practice with them. As you know, practice is needed to keep up any self defense skill but I would venture to say that I could still dish out some pain with a set if I had to. Granted, some of the pain could end up being my own depending on just how rusty I am.
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  14. ampaterry

Good Job, Just One Shot!

They say learning is a painful experience.
    I know for a fact that learning the Chucks from a book certainly is.