The Firearms Forum banner

aluminum or steel?

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  pricedo 
#1 ·
Got a question here. On a 30-06 I know that steel base mount and rings are the best but, will an aluminum base mount "work"? May be a easy answer, but the reason I'm asking, Ive already got a 1 piece "aircraft" aluminum base mount for the 06 and was wondering it it will be a re-do job? Havent done it yet, but still wondering as I already had/have one for the rifle.

#3 · (Edited)
Glad to hear that grcsat. Ive always made it a practice to put nothing but steel on if possible, and was going to order one for this one. But got to "digging" around and found one that I'd had in with some parts. Ive just always heard to use steel, and not sure as to maybe expansion or whatnot between the two types of metal.

#6 · (Edited)
This is a C/P if you want to get tecy.

ASSUMING THE ACTION IS RIGID.... This assumes that the much larger steel action is rigid and is a reasonable assumption because the action is much larger than the base. Taking into account the flexibility of the action involves a statically indeterminate problem. This would require very sophisticated Finite Element Analysis including the geometry of each action and one piece base to determine the deformations of both. Now assume that your rifle scope is made of aluminum. If you use a two piece base, then a 0.00166 inch displacement goes directly into the scope tube. If the section area of the scope tube is half that of the base, then the force would be half or 199 lb. But in either event you are going to shorten the center of the scope. Using an aluminum one piece base, resists some of the load and lowers the load transmitted to the scope. I think you would change the point of impact more by stressing the scope than stressing the action, all else being equal.

But, if you have a scope with a steel tube, and use a two piece base, then the mounted scope goes through temperature swings, matching the action's length change, without being stressed. This is the best of all worlds. It is also similar with an aluminum Stolle Panda action and an aluminum scope.

SUMMARY.... So, in summary, I would suggest:

Steel action, aluminum scope: use a one piece aluminum scope base.

Steel action, steel scope: use a two piece steel or aluminum scope bases.

In a nut shell ...It don"t matter.

#8 · (Edited)
One thing that a lot of people don't understand about the aluminum alloys used in making these rings and bases, is that often the aluminum is tuffer that the steel it's mounted on!:eek: There is a difference in expansion rates but with the aluminums ability to shed heat as well as absorb it, as was noted above it is very small, therefore you won't have any problems using the mount, or mounts if they are two piece, just use locktight and that will eliminate any problems!:D Doug

#9 ·
I've used both aluminum "Weaver type" bases and rings and steel "Redfield type" bases and rings for 30 years. For the most part, I really cant say that the use of the Redfield type rings and bases is of any great advantage, even on heavy recoil caliber rifles. As a matter of fact, the aluminum bases and rings are definitely stronger than most of the components in 99% of the scopes manufactured today.

#10 · (Edited)
I've used both aluminum "Weaver type" bases and rings and steel "Redfield type" bases and rings for 30 years. For the most part, I really cant say that the use of the Redfield type rings and bases is of any great advantage, even on heavy recoil caliber rifles. As a matter of fact, the aluminum bases and rings are definitely stronger than most of the components in 99% of the scopes manufactured today.
The aluminum stuff is just as good if not better than the steel hardware & is certainly lighter.

Just put my family on a plane made of aluminum alloy so I certainly don't have a problem with aluminum scopes, scope mounts, rings, bases, action bedding blocks, etc.

Never cared for the "Blaser" ammo with the aluminum cases cause you can't reload them.

Tried reloading a steel cartridge case once. I'll take the pictures down off my walls before I try that again. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.