Aluminum & steel?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by RunningOnMT, Apr 30, 2009.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I am considering buying a Taurus 1911. At one supplier they are out of the steel frame models but have aluminum frame models. From past experience with other than firearms steel moving against aluminum is not a good idea as the aluminum wears excessively. Is this a problem on these pistols?
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i have a colt lt. wt commander that has a aluminum frame it's had more rounds through it than i can count. it's rough and is need of a refinishing but no cracks no excessive wear and still works as it should.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The Taurus 92/99 (a copy of the Beretta 92 made on Beretta tooling in Brazil) that I have had for decades has a steel slide running on an aluminum frame as does my Sigs P220 and P225. None of these guns has shown any signs of excessive wear. But it of course depends on using the correct aluminum for the frame. Steel on steel is better yet, as done on the CZ family of metal guns. The worst has to be PLASTIC guns. Give me all metal anytime.

I personally would not own a aluminum framed 1911 because it is not "correct" in my eyes. I'd wait for the all steel Taurus if I were you. This is a big seller for Taurus, I think, and it will be available soon, I would hope.

LDBennett
  4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

colt has been making the lt wt commander in one form or another since 1950 i've worked on a great deal of these and have only seen 2 mis-used / cracked frames, but both guns were used with handloads. but in retrospect i'd go with a all steel gun too if you're going to buy a taurus. the quality isn't the same as colts or sigs and they do not have the experience with 1911's colt has. the key with aluminum framed 45's are recoil springs and shock buffers. take a hard look at the star pd. these were aluminum framed too and yes the frames failed but not if shock buffers were used. excellent expert advice can be sought at m1911.org
  5. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Thanks OM and LD. I think I will wait for the all steel. The aluminum frame models have an advantage in that they have heinie sights but I like the looks of all steel better and have more confidence in them.