ALWAYS Practice Gun Safety

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by norahc, Jul 2, 2012.

1. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    http://www.freep.com/article/20120630/NEWS06/120630027/livinston-accidental-gun-range-shooting

2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

amen to that
  3. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

That club is , kinda', in my backyard .... It's kept key/code locked to keep non-members off of the grounds .
    I'll be real interested in hearing the story on how is it that the gate was unlocked .
  4. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

and they might bring the shooter up on negligent homicide charges?! at the worst I say trespassing.

is there a hunter safety course offered in the area? ours here is free and put on by the game wardens and taught by experience volunteers.

either way, it's a total shame. at my club if someone (especially a youngster) is having issues guys will step in and help all the while making sure the muzzle is in a safe direction.
  5. Blackshirts

Blackshirts Active Member

Well if by...

he means "somehow pulled the trigger" then he negligently killed someone.
  6. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Two guys from my school were drinking one night and were pretty tanked up and they were messing with guns.One had a shotgun and the other had a .22 derringer.They thought they were empty and they walked out in the garage and they pointed them at each other and pulled the triggers the shotgun was empty but the derringer was loaded and shot the other in the cheek which entered his brain.He was brain dead on the scene.The other guy was charged with involuntary manslaughter and was found not guilty.Mike has to live with killing his best friend the rest of his life.They were both really stupid and one paid for it with his life.
  7. shorter260513

shorter260513 New Member

I once had a sks rifle that when it jammed while shooting you didnt notice it but the firing pin was released and when you cleared it chambering the next round it would fire that round when the bolt closed freaky things happen form time to time
  8. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

You never can be too safe with firearms!

And mixing booze and bullets is a deadly mix.
  9. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

When ever I go to the range I look at and watch they guys around. If they look to be unsafe I will tell them and if they persist I just leave. I have been in the range where people have been told to leave due to unsafe behavior.

That's a very sad story.
  10. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

Kid had probably never had anyone explain the basics to him. The AK isn't one that is prone to "accidently engage a bullet". If there's a magazine in it, and you pull the bolt back, then it feeds a bullet. No accident. Now, the SHOOTER might have accidentally chambered a round, but that just means he had no clue as to clearing a firearm after a malfunction. There just isn't a whole lot that's complicated on an AK anyways, it just sounds like someone that had never had anything taught to them at all about firearms.
  11. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

Here's a first person story for you. When I was a teenager my friends dad got a new .30-.30 and my friend wanted to show it to me, he went in to their bedroom and called me in. He was holding it and worked the action and then handed it to me. I grabbed it and with my left hand put my thumb on the hammer and my finger on the trigger to let the hammer off easy, the hammer slipped and there was a round in the chamber and I shot a hole in their bedroom wall, we were both stunned. It took all of 30 seconds from when I went in to the room till the shot. My friend did not load it, I didn't load it and his dad, who was the county sheriff, did not keep any weapon except his service revolver loaded inside the house. We were lucky that the only hole was in the wall and I tell that story to everyone that I take shooting to teach them that everyone that handles a firearm checks it as soon as they get a hold of it and before they hand it to someone else or set them down.
  12. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

I had a officer shoot his room mate

same old story

two juiced up young idiots playing with guns

rank dont make a difference to that one

you get juiced up and run over someone in a car , you dont mean too , but they lock you up ...

whats the difference from a car to a gun ? its a tool meant for one thing used for another , rightly or wrongly so , they are dangerous when used by drunks and idiots

we all know we should not get liquored up and do anything , let alone drive or play with guns , or drive tractors or drive boats , we see what happens daily on the news and attend the funerals of the young folks of our friends

and yet it goes on
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  13. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

My brother-in-law was one of those cocky fellows who always thought he had to be the center of attention. He thought he had the "world" handled, he never held a job long, my sister always worked and took care of the bills and house and all while he was out doing whatever he felt like doing.

Then one evening, he had been drinking a bit, one of the kid's friends stopped in and was chatting with him at the kitchen table. He had a revolver, thought that he had dumped all the rounds out, messing around and put it up against his head and pulled the trigger.

Well, he had taken all the rounds out but one it seemed. The 15 year old girl sitting across the table from him was in counseling for several years afterwards.