AM I CRAZY

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 358 winchester, Sep 14, 2005.

1. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I wonder now that the world has seen what Katrina did to the coast just how crazy do they think I am.
    Not to go into lots of details but I believe in being able to take care of me and my family for at least a year, with little or no help.
    I keep beans & rice/ flour/ GRITS/ oatmeal dried meats and dried vegetables plus many other food items stored, I rotate them every two years, use the old put away the new. I keep lots of hunting ammo stored, for hunting small game. I keep a fair amount of ammo for protection stored. I keep canned meats stored. I have a very good water filter hand pump capable of making 5 gallons an hour, from dirty contaminated water, (with spare filters, each good for over 1000 gallons). My first aid kit has everything that a combat medic would carry plus a good deal more, and I know how to use it all. I have a hand crank radio for keeping up with the news. I also keep seed and a few hand framing tools around.
    I don’t preach that the world is coming to an end. I do believe that until you have been hungry (and I don’t mean missed lunch, I mean four or five days without anything) you just don’t know what it is like. I also believe that being well prepared is much better then begging for a hand out. No the government or any bunch of looters are going to force me out (they may carry my body out).
    NOW, AM I CRAZY OR JUST WELL PREPARED
    I would really like your thoughts on this one. I might also add that even if I didn’t live in HURRICANE ALLY I would still be set up like this disasters come in all shapes and sizes!
  2. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

I am with you there.

Ray
  3. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Lets just say, we can start over from scratch.....

LTS
  4. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

You're not crazy.
  5. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

No you are not crazy.Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
  6. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I read the “title” of the post,
    then looked to see who posted it.
    First thought was..... :p ......well, we won’t go there......... ;)

Sounds like you were a boy scout when you were younger.
    I learned a lot from being a boy scout.

We don’t get tornados, or hurricanes, but we got 7-8 FEET of snow a couple of years ago. Closed down the town, roads, etc. Roads were closed for days.

Being prepared is a good thing. ;)
  7. 358 winchester

I was a CUB SCOUT but not a boyscout. I was with a small SPEC-OPS Unit in the military. I have been hungry before, very hungry I might add. I have been around the world and seen some nasty living conditions, That them folks thought was normal. I have seen the results of war torn countries and the lack of supplies, like bread, water, medicine, and help. I have been a drift alone at sea for more then a few days and alone on the interior of some strange places like the jungle and the desserts of the world. Prepared is something that you are never really are, but staying alert and just plan paying attention is the best way to stay around long enough to be a burden to your children. Now I am off to eat powdered eggs and squirrel jerky for breakfast :D ;)
    Ron
  8. xxxxxxl

xxxxxxl New Member

358 Winchester...You are not crazy, in fact you are very sane. I believe that it is everyone's job to look out for their own safety and well being. Being prepared should be a way of life. I am not as prepared as you, but I am trying. We keep a lot of survival items around the house and packed in water proof storage containers. We started collecting loose precious stones a few years ago in case things got so bad that currency was worthless. I believe that gold, silver and precious stones will always hold value.
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

358 Winchester:

I salute your preparedness but when everything is gone (house, car, stores of emergency supplies, water, power) and it is just you with nothing else, the preparedness is for naught. Some of the Katrina victims are at that spot. Others still have enough left to survive as you suggest. So your approach is sound of mine but doesn't always work. But if being totally prepared soothes you, DO IT!

Some of the "victims" of Katrina did absolutely nothing to prepare. Some even refused to leave when the danger was well known. Some politicians played politics instead of responding to the eminent danger. These people probably deserve some of the pain of this catastrophy but deserve some help at least. The positive of this is that it will probably not happen this way in the near future as many have learned about your version of preparedness and its virtues.

LDBennett
  10. 358 winchester

I went the other way, BARTERING
    I store fish hooks & Line ,a few knifes to trade, some extra seed, little Items that don't cost a lot but stuff that we don't normally think about until we need them. Some simple oils that can be had every day at the drug store oil of clove comes to mind as well as glycerin and month balls (don't I ask I will not tell) stuff that most people never that about Vaseline is very important item to have on hand for all sorts of things( ( don't go there :rolleyes: ) a fifty cent butcher knife form a yard sale could be great bartering material if the unexpected happened.
  11. 358 winchester

MR. LDBennett
    Sir I agree with you 100% some of them folks need and should be helped in every way that we possible can help them. and there is no way that we can be prepared for all emergencies. I just feel that to depend on others to take care of me and mine is the wrong way to go about life. Some of my close friends don't have so much as two weeks of groceries in their homes they shop every few days. I wish that they would keep a few items just in case.
    If my house and all my stores where totally destroyed, I could still make it, be hell of a lot harder and I wouldn't be in a position to help others but I think I could live through about any thing but a direct hit. Attitude is about 70% of the battle or so I was told once. :)
  12. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

If you're crazy, I'm unbelievably insane. To me, it's "normal" to constantly strive to be able to live free of the rest of society. I'm not quite there yet, but my goal is to be able to use the resources on my farmstead to support me indefinitely. Wind/solar power for energy, large garden and wildlife for food, horses for transportation and farm work, etc. Oh, and enough guns and ammunition to supply everyone within a 2-mile radius for years. ;)
  13. henry0reilly

henry0reilly Member

Re: "insanity"

A man after me own heart. I've always said that if I hit the lottery big time I'd buy a mountain somewhere and become as close to 100% self-sufficient as possible. Garden, livestock, solar/geothermal, generator, and privacy.

I was much better prepared when I had my place at the gun club range; not so much now that I live in an apartment. :(