Am I missing something?

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by ysacres, Mar 6, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/30/02 6:48:43 pm)
    Am I missing something?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here is a question I received via GunBroker's mail system regarding an auction item:

I can't make out the stamping on the receiver in the photograph. Can you tell me what it says and what the condition of the bore is?

Here is the auction item listing, copied from GB:

Large ring 1898 Mauser in 8x57. Made in Oberndorf and so marked on receiver ring, as well as 1918 date. GEW 98 on left side of receiver. 7.91 on barrel ring just ahead of receiver, 'S' on top of barrel behind rear sight. Should be .323" bore. On the left side of the barrel just below the wood line is '8mm TURKEY' in very small block letters.

My understanding is that this is one of the rifles supplied to the rebuilding Turkish Army near the close of World War One - the full contract was not filled for obvious reasons.

This rifle is full length, with the 29" barrel. Barrel, receiver, bottom metal and barrel band serial numbers match. Bolt is unnumbered. It is missing a few small parts: rear sling swivel, front band spring, bayonet stud pin and one guard lock screw. Metal finish is dark patina, with pitting under the wood. Bore has strong rifling, but dark (4/10).

??

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/30/02 7:25:20 pm)
    Reply Re: Am I missing something?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Some folks is jes illiterate ya no - cant rid no gud anglish and cant spik it nun ether.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/30/02 9:30:03 pm)
    Re: Am I missing something?
    Sometimes I think one cannot win AntiqueDr. You can give them every bit of detail you have but they'll still ask a question that could of been answered had they read the description!

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/30/02 9:32:05 pm)
    Case in point! (Hee,Hee,Hee!!!)
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/30/02 10:14:08 pm)
    Oh hush kdub!

Just because everybody is outbidding me tonight on AntiqueDr's auctions - you don't have to rub it in!!!!

lol

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/1/02 8:13:31 am)
    Doc, I have become numb from stuff like that. Reminds me of when I sold my boat on eBay. I had 4 full screen pictures of it. I had people ask me daily......"What color is this boat?"
    The pictures were clear and bright, along with wording.

Boat Color: Battleship Gray bottom, Black hull W/Sliver MetalFlake, Red and Sliver MetalFlake gunnel stripe as shown in pictures.

Even had one guy ask, what kind of motor.....even though there was a close up of the backend and the motor. Guess that white lettering fooled him..... Mercury XRI

Tac401
    Administrator
    (7/1/02 9:39:41 am)
    Clogged brain arteries I guess!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/1/02 7:14:15 pm)
    LTS what color was the trailer?
    "I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE SOME REPORTERS PAWING THROUGH OUR PAPERS. WE ARE THE PRESIDENT." - Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/1/02 8:41:05 pm)
    Matching color.....understand?????

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/1/02 8:44:19 pm)
    What about the quad mount 50s for the boat? Are they live or dewat?
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Tac401
    Administrator
    (7/1/02 9:02:28 pm)

TFF VMBB Email Tac

ruffitt
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/1/02 10:33:18 pm)
    BobinStLouis -

Dem ain't 50's bud. Themz The M61A1 Vulcan six-barrel 20mm gun. LTS fires these honkers up when he needs a little extra speed that that Merc XRI won't give him. Goes frum crusin speed with the XRI to durn near Mach 1 with just a little ole twitch of the finger.

RuffItt

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/2/02 9:05:38 am)
    Now that`s a TOY!!!!

Tac401
    Administrator
    (7/2/02 12:10:41 pm)
    Wish'd I had me one!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

mrpest
    (7/5/02 2:49:49 pm)
    So as a seller/business owner/shop owner you are annoyed by the questions of potential customers? Even though they seem foolish to you the buyer may have an issue about something or is just not clear about a particular point.

I see no reason to knock on someone who asks you a question.Can't you just answer it and go on? It comes with the territory.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/5/02 3:51:18 pm)
    mrpest, this is simply a bitch forum. I doubt you will find anyone here....me included, who would not answer any question posed us by a unknowing buyer. This is a place to vent, and yes it comes with the territory. Once you have been here awhile, you`ll understand. Don`t make a judgement yet, you`ll find Doc is one of the most respected people in sales, firearms and help.....business. Few are better at what they do, than Doc. LTS

mrpest
    (7/5/02 4:01:45 pm)
    Uh Huh. Just asked the question. I think I get the idea. Just frustration being vented.Fair enough..I can relate. Thanks

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/5/02 6:13:05 pm)
    The frustration is that all his questions were answered in the original posting. When you get 100+ email questions a day, you tend to get soured on the ones that could have been answered with just a small amount of reading comprehension.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

anchored
    (7/26/02 9:27:16 am)
    Obviously, you forgot that a picture is worth 1000 words, so your written description falls far short of the picture . . .

whiteclouder
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/26/02 10:53:02 pm)
    Maybe they were lonely and needed someone to talk to. Like me!!

Clouder..

ruffitt
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/27/02 9:50:03 pm)
    No anchored, it's the other way around.

The detailed written description supplements the photograph, which the individual asking the question could not decipher clearly.

I don't have any idea what problem the individual asking the question had in viewing the photograph, but the written description was more than adequate to provide any information regarding the markings on the receiver: " Large ring 1898 Mauser in 8x57. Made in Oberndorf and so marked on receiver ring, as well as 1918 date. GEW 98 on left side of receiver. 7.91 on barrel ring just ahead of receiver, 'S' on top of barrel behind rear sight. Should be .323" bore. On the left side of the barrel just below the wood line is '8mm TURKEY' in very small block letters".

The condition of the bore was clearly stated in the written description, "Bore has strong rifling, but dark".
    RuffItt

Author Comment
    twins
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/31/02 5:25:08 am)
    comp = what goes on the end of a rifle
    re = to do over
    hen = what lays the eggs
    shun = what Amish do to misbehavors

comprendo = unnerstod what u dun red ???

ruffitt
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/31/02 12:00:28 pm)
    I kin write readin, but I kan't read writin.

Guess I'm lisduxic, or izzat dyslectic?
    RuffItt

Different name
    *TFF Staff*
    (8/24/02 6:53:16 pm)
    Missing something?
    Note:
    "its is, "tazzi citcelsyd" --- "THGIR"?

D eilrahC ~~~~~
    (No Nuthin)?*

* NOPE!

Different name
    *TFF Staff*
    (8/26/02 1:46:47 pm)
    ANYBODY --- know what the exact temperature
    was in the room when the photograph was taken?

Do ya'll think it has created an "Obendorf typa syndrome"
    thereby causing a unknown Mauser mind malady??
    Charlie D
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2003