Am I really weird?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by USMARINE1884, Nov 18, 2009.

1. USMARINE1884

USMARINE1884 New Member

My friend came over one day and I showed him all my firearms. I am a practickle person and shoot every gun I own I am not just a for looks kinda guy. I am also a Marine which partial answers and gives me an excuse for anyway my being weird/odd. Now as I pull each and every weapon out of the safe (about 14 of them) from 22 to 45-70 rifle, pistol, shotgun (all except my black powder only firearms) he laughed and said I was nuts because all guns had a round in the chamber and if it had a magazine it was full and ready. He asked why they are all guns loaded and I quickly answered you never know... I was just wondering if I am alone here in doing this. I know that some are a bit more "extreme" I once had a Gunny who had a firearm in every room and some bigger rooms with multiple and had a mariner version of the mosberg 590 in a special plastic bag in the shower. So at least I know I'm not totally out there. I also have a friend who has a large ranch in Tenn. and put little trip wires everywhere with glow sticks attached because he said he sees people in the woods at night...
  2. Lori Mick

Lori Mick New Member

you're not wierd! Welcome to the forum! :D

ps.... THANK YOU for your service!
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  3. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I have a brother in law that was awaken in middle of the night. No lights on in the house. The perp had cut the power to the house and cut the phone lines. He heard his mom screaming. She was held at gun point. He had a hell of a time trying to load a 22 lr in the dark. Cahos, but he managed to kill off the perp in the driveway. The perp was shooting at him while he tried to rescue his mom. Baby crying with the gunshots. Total cahos. No police help either. A neighbor called and when they heard shots were fired they took their slow sweet time getting there.

I can't speak for others i can only speak for myself. The ones i have out for my use are loaded and everybody in my family knows it.

I have had the opportunity of actually having bullets fly past my ear. Thats another story. If hell fire comes my way i will bring it back like no tomorrow.

No your not nuts the dead know only one thing, it's better to be alive.

Your buddy may see a new light if whistling bullets fly past his ear. Never wish that on anybody.
  4. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

An unloaded gun will not shoot. Since they make a very inefficient club I keep mine loaded
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Not all my guns stay loaded, those that are loaded are readily available. Those that are put away are unloaded as I have no use for them as an immediate defensive weapon.

Semper Fi,

Woolley
  6. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Keep all of mine locked and loaded, period. You pick up a piece in my house and its loaded.
  7. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

An 'empty' gun is worthless.
  8. glocknut

glocknut New Member

ALLWAYS have a loaded gun at home......

Gn
  9. OBrien

OBrien New Member

A gun yes all guns no. I don't think I'll be heading to the gun cabinet if SHTF in my house. If my 1911 can't do the trick than there is going to be trouble for me either way because I don't plan on running back for another.
  10. Eddie N

Eddie N New Member

I keep one of mine loaded at all times. Semper fi!
  11. Guns_Up_Jams_On

Guns_Up_Jams_On New Member

If the gun is out it's loaded, but I'm not sure what good it is to keep a loaded gun inside a locked safe.
  12. GregM

GregM Former Guest

When anyone asks I always say...
    "They don't work very well without bullets"
  13. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Are you in a state that requires firearms to be locked up? Or other conditions, or you just don't feel safe, having firearms lying around loaded?

I keep them loaded, and accessible, around here.
  14. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I keep film in my cameras.
    I keep gas in my car.
    I keep gas in my generators.
    I keep ... well you get the idea.

A tool cannot be used if it is not properly assembled.

Now, as to the glow sticks, I never liked them. I prefer motion triggered lights. I do have a few range stakes out there in strategic spots.

Pops
  15. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I keep my USP nearby at all times, in different locations (I have a good ability to remember where it is at the time :D), the rifles stay unloaded. If 23 rounds of 9mm does not get the job done, I really doubt the AR or .30-06 is going to.
  16. topper

topper New Member

An unloaded or locked up gun is useless, IMO. All of mine are loaded and ready to shoot.
  17. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

Mine are all unloaded. Actually I don't have any at home now anyway. They are all at my parents house. My wife has a tendency of not checking the doorlocks.....That pisses me off to no end. I'm not going to have them all stolen because my wife is a frigging idiot. I did tell her that when we have kids that there is going to be a loaded gun by the bed at all times. But for now it doesn't really matter. She wouldn't use a gun if someone was pointing back at her if she was alone, so there the only thing I'd be protecting is property when I was home. They can keep the stuff. I'm not going to kill someone over a stolen laptop. It's one of those things that really pisses me off about my wife. But she seems to think that the police will protect her even though it takes the Binghamton Police Department hours to show up sometimes. It's out of my control so I keep my guns at a safe place, where I know my Mom and Dad are willing to use them and their own...
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  18. Dennis C

Dennis C New Member

I keep my Glock 19 loaded at all times. I have other guns, but they aren't loaded. I have kids in the house so I need to make sure little fingers don't get into big trouble.
  19. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have many guns in gun safes. Those guns in the safe are too hard to access to be used defensively so they are not loaded. I also think it unsafe to keep loaded guns in safes. It is too easy to pull the gun out not remember it is loaded and set it off accidentally (that's a senior moment I would not like to have!).

I have one gun out and loaded but its not really "out". It is in an easy access five button lock safe on the dresser top. I keep my wallet in there so I have to open that safe every day. I can open it in my sleep, darn near. For safety the magazine is loaded but the chamber empty. To make it ready I only have to rack the slide. I don't want the above senior moment with my defense gun and for that reason it has nothing in the chamber. Keeping the wallet in the safe not only forces me to be totally familiar with the safe lock but if I get surprised by an intruder to give him money I'd have to open the safe for him and low and behold there's my gun (I'd use my body to block his view as I pulled the gun out and racked the slide).

I want defense but safety too. I think my setup gives me both. Having a bunch of loaded guns laying around with four grand children that visit often is not what I call safe at all. There are no guns that they can access and that's the safest thing for them. By the way California mandates this behavior today but I have done it this way for over 20 years, starting when my then young son moved in with me full time in the 1980's.

LDBennett
  20. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    First, thank you for your service to our country! Like you I keep all my guns loaded at all times. I know my guns are loaded. If I need one, I know I can count on it being fully ready, it does not matter if the gun is in a gun safe or not, if I pick it up, it will shoot. Unloaded guns kill people. When you know that all of your guns are loaded, there is no question about it. I do not keep a gun in my bathroom, but there are several just outside the bathroom door that are loaded and ready to go. I live in the country, and have alarms on all the doors and windows, including alarms on the driveway.