Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alpo, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Just checked my mail at Yahoo, and they had a news story, about the "Ten Biggest Texting Mistakes".

The story started, "Unless you're living a seriously alternative lifestyle, you've probably been communicating via text for a while now. You text your friends, your dates -- even your parents."

I don't. When I bought my phone, I had the text capability removed. You want to talk to me on my phone you have to TALK to me. You can't text me- my phone won't accept it.

So I wondered if I was the only one left in the world that didn't text?

And then, when reading the story, I wondered about the rudeness of people. The #2 bad text thing was, "There is always at least one point in the night -- a lull in the conversation, a pause between thoughts -- when it gets really quiet, and you look around and realize that all your friends are busy texting." I believe if I noticed that all of my friends were texting, I would get up and leave. They obviously did not want to be with me, but instead wanted to talk to whoever they were texting. Why should I stay there with them?
  2. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I don't do Texting either...

mike
    gn
  3. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

+100!!! I don't text, either....and don't plan to.
  4. artabr

artabr New Member

This is the closest I'll ever come to texting. If I'm going to go through the effort of pulling out my phone and pressing the keys, I just as soon call and speak to you like a human being.
    I see texting as almost pointless other than for passing data.
    Call me old fashion.

Art
  5. I took it off of mine as well, Alpo, along with cell phone Internet access. I can't figure out why so many people get such a thrill out of acquiring carpal tunnel syndrome of the fingers and squinting their eyes to read an Internet page on a 2" screen! I've been tempted on more than one occasion to toss that stupid cell phone into the Arkansas River anyway. Frankly, I despise the damn thing. :rolleyes:
  6. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    + here. don't even have a cell.
    and don't want one.
  7. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

If my wife didn't make carry one because of my bad health I wouldn't have one at all TEXTING , Heck half the time I candial them little nubers and you want to spell with them it ain't happening ever.
  8. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i got a cell phone... but i dont text much... i dont see any point in it when the reason i got a phone was to call people. i have found one advantage to it though, if you were in a crowded place and couldnt hear a phone conversation then i can see how it is handy. it's dumb to text because you'll spend 4 times as long to say the same thing you would in phone... then you have to stop every 3 minutes to answer, my wife loves it, i refuse to pay for it thus far
  9. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

When FirstInLine was in Utah and Nevada a couple of months ago, we texted a few messages, because her reception was so poor much of the time. None since then. If you reception is poor (not gone, just poor) texting can be a way around it.

Pops
  10. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Texting is great for many reasons. I am not like my brother though who communicates almost completely by text, and stays in touch with his friends seemingly every few minutes. Of course part of this just makes me feel old, as I am sure the fact that I know what almost everyone I went to high-school with is doing in their lives thanks to Facebook makes the last generation feel old (if that run-on made sense)!

Texting can be great for many reasons though. Example, when talking on the phone would be downright rude, or impossible. At least 50% of the texts I send are actually to myself (you can text to an e-mail address)- sending myself reminders. In this case I wouldn't be able to call myself anyway :D. Or for example when my mom is calling me and I am busy talking to my boss- its my mom and she shouldn't be ignored, I can whip out a quick text "Talking with my boss, call you soon". Sure texting isn't always appropriate either- but there are times where it is much more appropriate than talking on the phone (one of my pet peeves is people talking on phones in restaraunts, now I can just send a quick text "At dinner, call you later").

Mobile Internet is one of those things I don't know how I lived without. A great example is when I was at the gun show and saw the Olympic Arms- rather than blow almost $1000 on a gun I hadn't heard of, or risk it being gone (and blowing another $8 for entrance) and coming back the next day- I was able to do all my research right there and even post on TFF!

Another example was when I ran to blockbuster and forgot to print my coupon, bam pop online and get it right there via phone.

I admit it is hardly necessary, but then again so are color copy machines and e-mail and hell even cell phones. It just makes life a little bit easier :D.
  11. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

Never sent one. My boss sent me one one time. We have radio, cell phones, pager and e-mail, I don't see texting as necessary but I'm sure it will catch on.
  12. kingchip

kingchip New Member

I've got two kids in college out of town. the text thing works great when prompting them when necessary. Also I'll second the texting in poor reception areas.
  13. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I believe excessive texting kills brain cells... Either that, or the people whom habitually text have fewer brain cells. I can't figure out which is more accurate. I got a text one day from someone that I didn't know that said something to the effect..... "Dude, Taco Bell was sooo good. Now I think I'll just go home now and chill."

Oh, did I have fun with my response... :D

It was something to the effect, "I don't know who you are but if you feel the need to text anyone about the most insignificant detail of you life then you obviously need a hobby." :D:D:D:D:D I'm mean... :D
  14. dbrodin

dbrodin New Member

One of my daughters texts me when she knows I'm at work and probably won't answer my phone. I hate texting! It takes me 10 minutes to type out a message with that little key pad!
  15. artabr

artabr New Member

It takes me that long to peck out a post on a normal size keyboard much less on a cell phone. :eek: :D

Art