1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Am I worth dying for?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kbolt, Aug 16, 2009.

1. kbolt

kbolt New Member

My son called me yesterday to tell me that he just got his orders to serve in afghanistan. As an ex army recon scout, I know that you are to go where they tell you and do what they tell you without asking why. But, now I am a father and I have to ask myself "why are we in afghanistan". In previous wars we had a fairly clearcut idea of why we were there and who we are fighting and what our goals are.
    last night I googled the question and got 27,200,000 results, I spent about seven hours reading the results and still haven't come up with a good answer, until I came across this quote.

"Dear Lord, lest I continue my complacent way, help me to remember that somewhere, somehow out there, a man died for me today. As long as there be war, I then must ask and answer, Am I worth dying for?"

I then realized that it is not about them , It is about us.
    All wars are unnessesary, But as long as there are people on this earth there will be wars and lots of people will die for reasons they don't even understand, but for now all I can do is pray for the safety of my son and his fellow soldiers and hope that our goverenment has a damn good
    reason for being there.

All americans need to ask and answer the question "Am I worth dying for?"
  2. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

My son has served a tour in Iraq, and my daughter and her husband are now there, finishing up their tour fairly soon. I understand where your thoughts are...where your heart is...and your quest for answers to validate their service.

Quite a tall order to live up to being worth dying for. I only know One who has done it for me, and He is Who makes living worthwhile. In striving to serve Him, I try to make my life count and "worth" something....including my childrens' service.

God be with your son, as well as all the troops who are engaged to keep danger at bay.
  3. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

kbolt, Sir I don't know you but I sure hope you take this the right way.

Your question;
    "Am I worth dying for?"

My answer:
    I as an individual, No I am not! I as a collective of we the people, YES I AM.

I to have sons there one twice and another getting ready for his third trip soon I understand, I would gladly take their place in half a heart beat as I feel you would for your son. We have gone past our prime and our sons would kick dads tail if we even tried to fill their slots ( well they would try to any way) Heck no it isn't easy but it is our turn to stay home and make sure they are taken care of when they return it is our turn to protect the home front for them and their children.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  4. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Powerfull post Kbolt
    Thank you
  5. yellerdawg

yellerdawg Former Guest

Am I worth dying for?

What a wonderful post and choice of wording sir.

I don thave much of an answer except :...from my experience in battle in 70-72....I found that som ethings and items I had read or had been told were right.....we train and respond and SERVE for our country/family/citizens....

But..god forbid....and as it happens..be it training , friendly fire.accidents ..or battle.....the dying is always for our buddies / those around us...and the unbelievable constant mindset and concern and endeavor to ......perform as expected and not let any of them down....

I guess..in retrospect of proofing..consider previous words as those from the front line..so to speak....

It has come to me...Am I worth dying for? based on reading your post the best I can....?

Yes...or I/we should try our best to be.....and we (as the people) will be...as long as an oath is required and accepted....and performed.

May god bless your kin and all others in any theater....and a prayer for safe returns....
  6. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

With enough effort I might be able to explain to a soldier why they have to die, but I'll never be able to explain that death to a soldier's family.
  7. Archie

Archie Member

Am I worth dying for?

My son is currently in Iraq, but coming home from his tour soon.

Roughly 2,000 years, Jesus Christ was executed by the Roman government. Christians believe He died for us - me. Was I worth dying for then?

The only answer is to make sure you - we - are worth the sacrifice.
  8. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

Godspeed to your Son Sir, they serve us all in the free world, I for one appreciate them all.
  9. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

To me, it's not about "I", but freedom. Change that "I" to "freedom" and the answer is without question YES. Your son is about to travel to a distant land to preserve the safety, security and FREEDOM of the United States. There is no more nobler cause man can undertake.

"I" am part of the collective whole of the free people of the United States and I am eternally grateful of people such as yourself and your son for serving in our armed forces and protecting the freedoms we enjoy. To you, your son and the other brave individuals who have and are serving I say THANK YOU.

SS
  10. doug66

doug66 New Member

kbolt,
    As a parent I can't imagine many things worse than to send your own child off to war.

As a citizen of the US of A I feel soldiers like your son who volunteer to fight for us on foreign lands, so we don't have to fight them here, are the cream of the crop.
    Your son and the others have my undying gratitude.
    I will pray for quick and safe return.
  11. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

It's not about you or me or any individual really, it's about our way of life in the U.S.A. that is worth dying for. It's about the hopes and dreams of over 300 million of people who want nothing more than to raise their families and live free in the American dream. That is worth dying for.

In battle though all that is forgotten. The soldiers fight for the safety of their fellow soldiers around them and are willing to die to protect each other. No bond will ever be greater than with those who have fought in a life and death battle for each other.

Thanks to your son for his service. We will hope and pray for his safe return.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  12. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Am I worth dying for? Probably not. Are WE worth dying for? Definitely YES.

My son came back from Iraq with a permanent disability (not from enemy action.) He feels it was worth it. That is what counts to me.

Prayers from here for your son and all the others orver there.

Pops
  13. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I intended to respond until I read this post and realized that I couldn't add another word.

Kbolt, thank you and your son for your sacrifice.

Donny
  14. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Heavenly Father, I ask that you put a hedge around kbolt's son.
    I ask that you protect him and his brothers in arms as they serve their country with the highest level of devotion possible; the risk of their lives.
    I ask that you keep them safe.
    I ask that you bring them home safe.
    And I ask that you let them know how very much they are loved and appreciated.
    Amen -

Am I worth dying for?
    I cannot judge that.
    But I work each day to be worthy of it.
  15. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

I have read this post over a couple of times. Trying to figure out a reply. I only hope I don't offend anyone with this one.

As a former Marine who did his time and now a Father I say this.

Yes I am worth dying for. But the reason we are there is not for me. I guess the Toby Keith song is comming to mind. Have we forgotten? What is the reason we are there? Do you remeber what happened on Sept 11, 2001? We were attacked. They hit us here in the United States. On our home turf. Yea back then most of us wanted blood. Now that our kids are having to go into harms way we are thinking about it. Funny how things change. Now that I have kids, I would much rather we fight them over there than over here. There is no such thing as conventional war fare. I don't think that there ever will be. The technolgy is just to advanced for that. I pray for your son and his units safe return. I also pray for our leader to have the wisdom to do whats right.

Ryan