The Firearms Forum banner

Am looking at two rifles and need opinions

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  lcn 
#1 ·
I am looking around for my next rifle purchase and have zeroed in on a couple lever rifles that have struck my fancy and so far think either the Henry "Big Boy" with it's brass receiver or the Rossi R92-50011 with it's stainless receiver and barrel would be equally great choices but I just want one.......... for now!

Both are chambered in 44 magnum, the Henry having a 20" octagon barrel and the Rossi having a 24" octagon barrel making the guns very similar in style. One thing the ads cannot tell me is which might be superior to the other in regards to the lever action and accuracy.

Does anyone have any first hand experience in shooting both guns that would care to comment on which possibly has the smoothest action?

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
Be honest with yourself, you want them both. Save yourself the trouble of making an extra trip and get them both.

Seriously, I would go with the Henry first, just cuz I think it's a prettier rifle.

Reactions: rawright54
#6 ·
Rossi '92, hands down. I've had and still have a few Winchester Model 92's and there's no way the action of the Henry will ever equal the 92. It might be a little rough at first but once used a bit the only lever smoother is the '86....which the '92 is a miniaturization of.

Reactions: accident
#7 ·
There are those of you that love you Henry's and those that love their Rossi's but here's my experience.

I don't own or have even handled the centerfire Henry's but the one 22LR I checked out in a gun store a few years back was cheapy deluxe with lots of fit and finish problems

I have had a couple Rossi/Taurus (Taurus owns Rossi) rifles. The fit and finish was OK but each required gunsmithing by me to feed ammo smoothly. none were all that accurate and the Taurus Colt Lightning clone I own will not feed ammo made to the specs in reloading manuals (COL must be at least 0.020 inches under max listed in manual. I will not buy another Rossi/Taurus gun!

If it is a good lever in a pistol cartridge you are after then search out a used Browning 92 clone of the Winchester Model 92. They were made by Miroku in Japan. The fit and finish is better than even an original. They came in 357Mag and 44 Mag. They are superb guns and accurate.

When you buy at the bottom of the market place in guns, your chances for complete satisfaction are often less than 50-50. Rossi/Taurus is bottom of the market. Even the Italian clones are a better choice. My Italian clone 1873 is not a bad gun at all and a much better choice than a Rossi/Taurus gun.

But this is my opinion and experiences and yours may vary.

LDBennett

#8 ·
LD brings up a good point about the Italian clones. Years ago I had a '73 in 44-40, an Uberti I believe, and it never malfunctioned with anything I fed it. It shot accurately also. I would take that rifle back over a Rossi.

#9 ·
I don't know. My Rossis went to Steve Young, who smoothed them out. They work extremely well, now. I've got a Uberti '73, and it's a fine gun. I prefer the Rossi.

Something LD mentions is that Rossi is now owned by Taurus. Good point. All mine were made when Rossi owned Rossi. I would not buy a new-made one, because I believe that Taurus makes crap. Everything they touch turns brown and stinky.

And yes, Miroku makes fine guns. My Browning 53 32/20, my Browning 86 45/70 and my Browning 95 30/40 are all Mirokus. But you're gonna pay. If a Chevy will take care of all your transportation needs, while there is no reason to buy a Yugo to save some money, there is also no reason to pay for a Mercedes.

Reactions: joe45c
#12 ·
My particular bad habit are Marlins...they make a really tough, long-lasting rifle
that also has a button-rifled barrel...which means great accuracy.
They're also built as tough as Tiger tanks...last longer, too ;)

Even thought the 2014 models are as solid as the ones made in the 80's,
but I prefer the older ones with a half-cock safety instead of the crossbolt safety.
Best thing about older rifles is that someone has usually taken the time to
break 'em in so they're smooth as butter ;)

Henry's are smooth due to several plastic parts in the action...but still darn fine rifles.
Rossi's decent, but they sure ain't no Marlin...all are better than the Mossberg offering.

Go find an old Marlin, you'll be far happier in the long run :)

#13 ·
My son has a Henry in 44 Mag. and also a Marlin 444. He loves the Marlin but is too much gun for deer where he hunts so uses his Henry and has found no problem. It has open sights. His Marlin has a scope. I reload his 44 Mag. both for the Henry and also for his Ruger Black Hawk in 44 Mag. and never found any black cases in this spent brass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.