1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

amana frig ice maker trouble

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cycloneman, Feb 2, 2012.

1. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

i have a side by side amana

a few days ago the ice maker stopped working. I sent in a moved the arm that turns the unit off and on. I turned it off and then back on and it immed started the process to dump ice. The problem is the unit will not make the dump. I have done the turn off and on thing and now it will not dump at all.

any ideas?
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Just want to make sure I'm on the right page with you; from what I gather, the unit IS making ice, but it is NOT completing the "harvest cycle" and dumping it?

Shouldn't be too difficult to troubleshoot this issue. What is your model number of your fridge? Should be on the inside of one of the door panels or on the back panel. There should be a model number on the ice maker also, but you may not be able to see it easily.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  3. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

A LITTLE bit sketchy on details there, cyclone.

In an icemaker, this is the cycle:

1. The individual fingers rotate around until they hit the surface of the ice cubes, and then do one of two things:
    A. If the cubes are not frozen, the bars pass through the water and return to the rest position, and the cycle stops.
    B. If the cubes are frozen, the bars apply pressure to the surface of the cube, and the small motor is stalled while a heating element is turned on inside the freezing tray. When this element has warmed the tray sufficiently for the cubes to break free, the fingers proceed to press down on the cubes, causing them to raise up on the other side and drop down into the ice bin.

2. The heating element is turned off.

3. The water valve is turned on and the tray re-fills with water. This is a TIMED fill, so must be adjusted for your water pressure.

4. Periodically, a sensor arm is raised up, then lowered again into the top of the ice bin. This is the arm that you can raise to the top position to stop the icemaker from making a cycle, because if it's motion is stopped for any reason (due to hitting ice, in normal operation,) the cycle stops.

In light of this cycle info, can you say at what point yours is failing?
  4. woolleyworm

Pretty sure you have an issue with your heating cycle, most likely the element is bad. It's often best to just replace the entire unit when dealing with these types of ice makers, they're not terribly expensive and by the time you put $30 worth of parts and an hour or so of time into an older unit, you'd have been better served to spend the $75 and 30 minutes and get all new equipt.

Once I have the model numbers, I can get some good info for you to compare. Parts costs vs new, etc...
  5. cycloneman

what ever tells the fingers to go is not doing so.

mdl number hugh? well I used to sell appliances and am very familuar with where to find the mdl number. However the tag on the door on the inside has 4 model numbers written on it from the factory. WTH is that all about? i will get them all for you hang tight
  6. cycloneman

ok i get it now i have to know which size it is to tell the mdl number

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      163.2 KB
      Views:
  7. cycloneman

ok got it from the back of the unit

DRS2462BW

i checked ebay last night and they dont seem that expensive i just didn't know which mdl it was

the ice maker makes cresent shaped ice. quarter moon
  8. ampaterry

If the fingers never START their cycle, the arm that senses the presence of ice in the bin might be bent, keeping it from coming down far enough to start the cycle. That, or the switch that it activates is bad.

If the fingers are STOPPED at the point where they are pressing on the ice cubes, wolleyworm is most likely correct; heating element not coming on, so cubes never get loosened enough to move.

If it is the heating element, he is right: replace the unit.
  9. woolleyworm

Around $80 is what I've found for the guts of the ice maker itself.

http://www.partstore.com/Part/Maytag/Maytag/DRS2462BW/Whirlpool/Whirlpool/D7824706Q/New.aspx

a couple test points to check if you have a multimeter available before I'd pull the whole thing. Let me know if ya got one.
  10. woolleyworm

11. cycloneman

Can you pull the thing out without turning off the refer? I would like to unplug it and take it down but not sure if i will screw something up.

it is the heating ele or the switch
  12. woolleyworm

Dang, the power of YouTube, this is a great video for ya to see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6xfzzeEWyw

I would recommend unplugging the fridge while you take it out if you have to. For checking the element resistance, you just need to ensure that the ice maker itself isn't powered up, ie have the ice handle up and do a voltage check first across those test points.
  13. cycloneman

great i am just gona order one and get it over with. the video is great too.

thanks for you guys time and knowledge.

yep if you have a problem this is the place to come
  14. ampaterry

Don't thank us before you get our bills - -
  15. cycloneman

HA!!!:D:D:D:D