Amazing experience!

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by firefighter1635, Sep 16, 2012.

1. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

A normal Sunday morning range trip turned into bliss for me today. I went wanting to run some various 9mm self defense rounds off to see what works, what don't. Upon pulling into the driveway I hear the most thunderous bang i've ever heard. I thought someone is shooting something BIG.

So I park and gather my stuff out of the trunk and head down to the range. All along I keep hearing this thunderous bang. Got to the range, picked out a table and seen a guy shooting a big rifle with a big scope and a bi-pod on it. He had a buddy with a spotters scope sitting next to him. Interested I struck up conversation with them. It was a .338 Lapua, wow :eek:!

The range I shoot at is only a 100 yard range but here is the kicker. He was shooting at quarters on top of dow rods at 100 yards!

He asked me if I wanted to take a crack, how could I say NO? He let me fire off a round, it was amazing even though I didn't hit a quarter. I tried to give the gent a 10 dollar bill because I know those rounds are seriously expernsive but he wouldn't have none of it.

We shot the bull for about an hour, about guns in general and exchanged info. I think I made a friend today :), that's rare for me as I don't get out alot.
  2. firefighter1635

Whoops posted in centerfire pistols and revolvers, feel free to move if so desired, Sorry.
  3. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

Very cool :)

The Lapua is a Finnish rifle. The rifle is made by Sako in Finland. When Finns make something they do it very well. I lived there for 23 years and my wife is Finnish. My son is a dual national and is currently serving in the Finnish Navy for his mandatory Finnish service time. Swedes also tend to be very good and meticulous when they make something. It's sort of a Scandinavian trait ingrained in their mindset to be proud of what you make.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Awesome, thats a caliber that not many have shot. What rifle?
  5. firefighter1635

It was a Weatherby.
  6. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

Way cool. I need to get out more often. Maybe I can get that lucky too:)

It used to be a trait Americans had too. To bad it was inbred out of us:mad:
  7. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I was going to say those were pretty expensive targets but then again, at $6 a round what's another 2 bits?
  8. firefighter1635

No doubt Polishshooter. I talked to him about that and told him I can get him some blanks made from stainless from a local press shop in all different sizes. He took me up on it so i'll be heading there this week to see what a buddy can do for me about getting some for him.
  9. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

Sounds like a blast. It is nice when someone allows you the experience of trying out a different rifle. Always cool. I try to let people try my rifles out if they take a fancy to one. Had a guy shoot my .204 a while back and he enjoyed it.
  10. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Yeah in the next few weeks Im buying a Savage .338 lapua magnum. Not that expensive

www.savagearms.com