The Firearms Forum banner

american classic commander advice

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  hogger129 
#1 ·
HI guys, I wanted to ask you guys your opinion on the American classic commander. I don't own one but my friend has a full size model and works great and hes never had a problem with it. But i would love to get your guys opinion from you guys that own or shot or work on one. Thanks guys and God bless

#2 ·
My Son bought one and it's a good entry level 1911. I decided to do some work on it to see if I could make it into a tack driver.

I fitted a NM barrel bushing, did a trigger job, welded the barrel hood and link legs and recut them for a proper fit. Then just worked on every piece of the pistol for accuracy and reliability. Gave him a new Wilson Combat mag and took it to the range.

The pistol would shoot a very tight group.

He sold the pistol a couple of weeks later at a very good profit. I was hoping he would hold onto the pistol a little longer to see how long it would hold the accuracy job. Oh, well.

I hope this helps.

#3 ·
I can attest to the customer service of American Classic. I caused a bulge in the barrel of my Commander, (rapid fire, must have had a squib blasted out by another round, yes, factory round, not reload) and I had to break the barrel bushing to get the jam broken loose. American Classic has been more than helpful in this, yes, I replaced the barrel and barrel bushing, and now in the process of breaking in the new barrel.

I like the gun, just won't be using unnamed factory ammunition in it again.

#6 ·
It ain't a Colt.

Say Shooter, where are them things made? All the website says is they are IMPORTED into New Jersey.

Y'know, if that was my kid that sold the gun after I did all that work, I'da been tempted to clock him upside his head.

Many years back, me and my brother-in-law pretty much rebuilt my wife's car, for her Christmas present. Did a lot of body work, cured the cancer. Fixed the holes in the trunk bottom so she could actually put stuff there. Painted the car. She had 500 in the car and we had another 3 or 4 hundred in materials (as I said, MANY years back). She was tickled when we gave it to her, and immediately drove it to work to show off to her co-workers. Came back and told us that a guy in the parking lot had offered her 1500 for it. Brother-in-law asks, "Why didn't you sell it?" I said, "'Cause I'd have divorced her".

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks guys that helps alot, on another note. What do you guys think about the RIA commander model.
RIAs are good guns. It's made in the Phillipines, but I still think it works as well as many others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.