American Classic?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by JLA, Dec 3, 2008.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Has anyone here had experience with American Classic 1911s. We took one in trade a few days ago in the shop. Its incredibly nice, fit and finish are good too. I have never owned one and was just wondering about thier reputation in the hands of my trusted companions here at TFF;)
  2. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

thanks jacksonco, I did get it for my wife, she wants me to gut it and rebuild it to her specs. I must say after breaking it down i was pretty impressed with the quality, fit, and finish of the internal workings. The only thing i found i didnt like about the pistol was the hammer and sear engagement. trigger pull was in the 6 or 7 lb. range and the half-cock notch was not as positive as a more pricey specimen. Overall i would rate it in the RIA, Taurus, and base model springfield category as far as value and quality are concerned, and to further pinpoint its rank in my opinion i would put it just above the RIA and just below the taurus. Its a very well built entry level 1911, ripe for beginner 1911 owners, and provides a decent platform for a semi custom pistol... Id say a good buy for 400 or less. as you can get RIA new in box in my area for about the same, and a taurus is jut a hundred bucks more. I snagged this one for about 300 tax n all...
  4. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Sounds like you did well. I may go for one early next year after I finish up Christmas stuff. Thanks for your input JLA
  5. Mistahman

Mistahman New Member

I myself own a American Classic II. I have really enjoyed shooting the one I have, never had any problems with it what so ever. Shoots Point Of Aim as well! And I agree, the fit and finish is very good on these. I believe they will increase in price and popularity as more people become familiar with them! For under $500 out the door, they can't be beat!
    Will have to see how they hold up.