American Double action 32 revolver

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by rxman, Sep 20, 2009.

1. rxman

rxman New Member

I just bought an American double action 32 revolver...has octagon barrel and no markings on left side of barrel. Its stamped inside handle on left with #813. It appears in good shape. I'm not sure what kind of round this uses...when I bought it I thought I could just fire 32 cal rounds in it. Now I'm seeing I might need smokeless powder rounds? Is it a longer round? I'm confused. How or where can I get this?
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Mr Goforth is the Go To Man on Iver's and H&R's. With no markings on the left side of the octagon barrel, Your American double action is ( I believe ) a first model H&R , 2nd variation, black powder 1888-1897 the key word here is Black Powder. You should not shoot modern 32 S&W shells in it. Mr Goforth can expound on this and correct me if I'm in error. Unless you are serious and just want to shoot an old gun, black powder rounds can be obtained but $$$. Other wise you have a wall hanger and display peice.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the early H&R catalogs advertize this revolver as being chambered for the 32 S&W and 32 H&R cartridge. the 32 H&R is the same round as the 32 M&H round which is longer than the 32 S&W but shorter than the 32 S&W Long. the 32 H&R/H&A round has not been loaded for about 90 years and was only loaded with black powder.

as ron has indicated this is a first model designed for black powder cartridges only.

AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION FIRST MODEL
    (BLACK POWDER MODEL):------------------------------------- 1884-1904
    32 caliber 6 shot, 38 caliber 5 shot, 44 caliber 5 shot, pull pin cylinder release, barrel length 2½, 4½ & 6 inches nickel finish standard, blue considered rare Marked on top strap “AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION”,
    first variation will have a round barrel & nickel trigger guard-----------1884-1887
    second variation will have a octagon barrel & nickel trigger guard------1888-1897
    third variation will have a octagon barrel , blue trigger guard and company name and address on left side of barrel----1898-1904
    100%=$225 60%=$95, 1st Variation rarely seen, add 50% premium., for all American Double Actions variations and variants: add 15% premium
    for blue finish, add 10% premium for 4 ½ “ or 6” barrel, add 5%-10% premium for nickel trigger guard (pre 1898)

bill
  4. rxman

rxman New Member

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the help...I paid about $125 for this...feeling kinda duped! Impossible to shoot standard 32 caliber rounds in this? I thought I was buying a cheap 32 for throwaway or conceal/carry. Not gonna work though, huh? Anyone interested in one of these...I'm not just looking to collect it. Thanks
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Not impossible, just not a very good ideal. I don't think it will blow up in your hands,but, it was never designed for the pressure curve of smokeless powder. You might shoot it a hundred times with no problems, or the first time you shoot it, little pieces of iron ( that's what they used )will go flying off in space, you look down and the cylinder is cracked from front to rear. Sorry about that. I sure can't advise it.
  6. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

you can load your own . check with old western scrounger or bufflo basin ammo for black powder loads