American Double Action

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by rpina, Nov 8, 2009.

1. rpina

rpina New Member

I have recieved a H & R 38 from my father. I am wondering how to go about finding the value, the age and if it is possible to refurbish it. I have no intentions to use it but just to it to a collection. I have the serial number on the butt. Any ideas? Thanks, Robert
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

pics and at least a partial S/n, then we can give you some decent info.

most likely not a high dollar collectible, so probably ok to refurb if you just want to keep it around as a family keepsake. Can not possibly give any age data without a s/n.

Welcome to TFF, hope you'll find it of interest here.
  3. rpina

rpina New Member

great...s/n is to the best I can read...

minmal rust with handle a little beat up...still cocks and barrel comes out and turns with no problem...thanks for you help...Robert
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the difference between the H&R american double action first (black powder)and the american double action second model (smokeless powder) is the caliiber markings on the left side of the barrel. the first model has several different series of serial number while the second model only has one.

so a picture or a full description of all markings and where they are found is needed to first determine which model you have.

bill