The Firearms Forum banner

American Eagle 40 grain LRN

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  BobMcG 
#1 ·
I got an email the other day informing me that this plinking grade ammo was available - two brick limit. I usually pass on the plated bullet ammunition, but these were non-plated and I assumed they were actually Federal Lightning under another name. I usually feed my Anschutz 1710 medium grade match ammo or better, but I thought it would be fun to try these less expensive cartridges in it for a change.

The set up.

Eight five shot groups fired at 50 yards. Conditions = Shifting 5 to 10 mph winds and temps in the high 30s to low 40s.

After shooting group #8, I walked down to retrieve the target. I had made a couple of adjustments in windage and elevation, but had about decided to not worry with an exact zero. After reconsidering, I went back down and stuck up a 3/4" dot. I took the elevation up two clicks and back down one, and fired this final ten shot group.

It shot about as well as I expected. We have a 50 yard silhouette match on first Saturdays (target racks pictured below). This will be fine for that event. We had our silos cut from 3/8ths inch steel plate. Thus, they can handle high velocity ammo like this American Eagle.

See less See more
#4 ·
Great report! And as jwdurf said, a good looking rifle too! I shoot Federal all the time, and find it as accurate as anything else out there.

#5 ·
Yup, good stuff.
I've shot up loads of that ammo and have found it to be decently accurate in multiple rifles. I don't recall ever being disappointed with any Fed. .22 ammo for that matter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.