American gun co

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by deerslayer64d, Dec 25, 2008.

1. deerslayer64d

deerslayer64d New Member

A buddy of mine gave me a 12 ga side by side hammerless shotgun b4 he moved back to Canada, The only markings on it are,one side of receaver say American arms CO New York, the other side says Knickerbocker, the top of barrel says Genuine armery steel , choked barrel . the buttstock is broken badly but the rest of the gun is in very good shape !! where would I find a buttstock for this gun ?
    Thanks in advance
    Gordon
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

www.jackfirstgun.com

Or just make one yourself. It's not that hard using a woodrasp and a couple of files. Plus you will by proud of what you have accomplished.
  3. RJay

RJay Active Member

There was no American Gun Company. The name is listed in the Standard Catalog of Firearms as a Crescent Firearms Co. shotgun. American was a trade name used of shoguns wholesaled by H&D Folsom, a very large sporting goods supplier from the late 1800's until the 1930's. There are no replacement stocks for these old guns, one will have to be made. Just goggle stock makers, but be aware that it is a labor of love, the cost will exceed the value of the firearm. However , when sold under the Crescent name, the Knickerbocker { a big sports club up state New York } was one of Crescent's better guns. Only someone knowledge in Crescents shotguns can really tell what you have. A Crescent Trade name shotgun will normally sell for 200 to 259 if in excellent condition. Perhaps some one more knowledgeable will post in with more information.:)
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

5. deerslayer64d

deerslayer64d New Member

Thankyou for the info , I knew about cresent and figured thay were mass produced and could get a replacment from a used gunparts outlet . will prolly cost more than its werth but I wanna shoot it and hunt with it . thanks again ," the serch continues "
  6. deerslayer64d

deerslayer64d New Member

7. Anchor Clanker

Anchor Clanker New Member

You have to be very careful when you write out these names. I found four ways of writing out this name: AMERICAN ARMS CO, AMERICAN GUN COMPANY, AMERICAN GUN COMPANY OF NEW YORK AND AMERICAN GUN COMPANY OF NY. The first maker was an independent located in Boston and Buffington.AL from 1891 to 1901. The rest of the names were used by Crescent as well as the name Knickerbocker. Also Genuine armory steel is a Crescent marking. You state that you want to shoot the gun. I have to caution you on that. These guns were designed and made in the early 1900s and were designed for black powder ammunition. Many have damascus barrels. They were not designed for modern high pressure smokeless powder and have been known to blow up when fired with modern ammo. Please before you try to shoot the gun have it checked out by a competent gunsmith. As far as making a stock, I've made a few, all for single barrels. Double barrels have more inletting for the locks either external or internal
  8. The Rebel

The Rebel New Member

Gordon... You can check Bob's Gun Shop in Royal, Arkansas ~~> http://www.gun-parts.com for the "Crescent Arms" Shotgun Stock. Go to the site, scan down to Gun Stocks and select "Old Doubles." They have listed stocks for the Crescent Double Shotgun @ $160.00 if you are interested. I acquired an "American Gun Co" New York "Knickerbocker" 12 Gauge recently and am trying to find out more about it also. The Serial Number is 176XXX and have narrowed it down to probably 1928 to early 1930's. Anyone have a more accurate date of manufacture ? ? ? Rick - Fredericksburg, Virginia
  9. deerslayer64d

deerslayer64d New Member

Thank you REBEL I will be checking them out :cool:
  10. The Rebel

The Rebel New Member

Hope the web site is informative to you as it was to me. Lots of "Interesting" listing for parts there. Good Luck !
  11. eagledenny

eagledenny New Member

I have just seen an American Gun Co. New York , double barreled shotgun with Wells Fargo burned into the stock and a plate . it also has a name on it's works. Where can I get Further info on this piece??
  12. RJay

RJay Active Member

99 and 9/10s of all Wells Fargo marked guns are fakes. Most collectors won't even touch them because of this. If the counterfeiter is good he will use the correct markings and since there is no records of Wells Fargo guns who can tell the difference. So, most knowledgeable collectors will yarn and ho-humn as they walk away. American Arms Co was a trade name or store brand name owned and used by E.K Tryon Co. of Philadelphia on imported shotguns. Pull the fore arm, if on the flats you observe the markings ELG in a circle or oval then it is a Belgium import and you can bet your booties it was never used by Wells Fargo. If their are no markings then it is American made , probably by Crescent Arms Co. since they also furnished firearms to Tyron. Tyron, like all hardware chains of that era owned their Store brand names and could and did use them on all of of their store firearms regardless of their origins. Their are no records of the Belgium imports and all of Crescents records were destroyed in 1940. How to get more information on your shotgun, you can't. The only possibility is to research the individuals name on the plate. But, unless you can get hard written evidence that that individual worked for Wells Fargo and used that shotgun while doing so, well all it is , is a nice wall hanger with a nice story. Sorry about that:eek:
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2010