The Firearms Forum banner

What's your opinion of the Taurus PT1911

American Rifleman cover story

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  polishshooter 
#1 ·
So, on the cover of the American Rifleman is the Taurus PT1911. What a writeup! WOW! and, for around $600, seems like a good deal.

I am one of the fortunate few who live in Californication - handguns must pass etsting before being added to the approved list by the DOJ. <sigh> so, we haven't seen any in country yet...

Looking for a quick opinion / feedback on first impressions from those who have one, tried one, etc.

See poll...

Thanks!
TAZ

#3 ·
Yup - got a Kimber and love it. Ultra CDP II from the custom shop. Kinda pricey, but dead on accurate and a sweet little 45.

I also have a Springfield Operator, Springfield XD40 and XD45 and love all of them too.

I was thinking the Taurus would be a good one for GP (General Purpose) shooting, kinda like my XD40 - takes a beating and keeps on firing. For that matter, the Operator is similar.

#6 ·
Gun mags never saw a gun they didn't like. I think any gun you have to run through a smith to get a decent trigger is not on my list of buys. 6# out of the box trigger stinks, lawyers love them but shooters don't.
I'm to the point a gun has to be in service for a few years before I buy. Sigma, S&W 1911,etc come to mind.

#8 ·
I've read a couple of posts so far on another forum about the Taurus...

It's selling in the 450 range.

It's also a series 80 type gun with whatever makes that different than the 70.

Single action trigger is in the 5 pound range. I'm sure that could be a quick fix if needed though...

One guy said he bought it to abuse and see how it stands up. After 250 rounds the first day he had one failure (stovepipe maybe? can't remember) and said it was extremely accurate- on par with his higher end 1911s.

I'm not a big 1911 guy, so probably wouldn't buy one, but I've taken my chances twice with Taurus products (the Beretta clone 92 and the 608 eight shot .357 revolver) with good luck.

EW

#9 · (Edited)
Yeah, Taurus has definitely gotten better from 20 years or so ago...maybe we should wait for AGB to chime in...since he's in Brazil,, he's probably seen it around for a while, but didn't he say he wasn't allowed to own a "military caliber?"

I can't remember...

#10 ·
Taurus got their start, in the internaational weapons business, on Beretta Machinery, building their own version of the Beretta 92; the original pistol, with the mag release on the heel of the grip,and a frame, not slide, mounted safety, was a clone of the original Beretta; while Beretta 'sucked up' to market demands, almost immediately, Taurus kinda dragged their feet, and left the controls where they were, for a while, which, personally, is where I feel they should be!
They then, and now, offer a 'Lifetime' warranty, on their product, and honor it, without question.
Faced with the necessity of a new .45, what I know of their 'nines', would sell the pistol, given the $450-600 price point, previously mentioned.
I've 'Broke' some Colts, with fractures thru the slide stop pin hole, and some Berettas, with fractured slides; never have I seen such failures, from Taurus. For me, this is selling tool enough!

#12 · (Edited)
Very happy with my PT 1911. Got it for $529. Very accurate, lots of features. Had a minor top round feeding problem that 5 minutes with a stone completely corrected. No misfires or stove pipes in 100 rounds. Hope to do more testing soon. First impression is outstanding. Trigger is not 6 lbs, more like 3 to 4 and very crisp.
Bill

#13 ·
Thanks Bill, for the report.

However, with my AVERSION to buying ANY new firearm, (along with my inherent cheapn...er...THRIFTYness..:cool: ) until they PROVE themselves for say 50 or 100 years, or 5 or 6 years of actual COMBAT use, I'll wait until I can buy a "Well used, but used Well" sample....;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.