American Side Snap

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by larrymac, May 5, 2009.

1. larrymac

larrymac New Member

I have a 12 ga. single shot.The only thing it says is American Side Snap.I was told it was made by Iver Johnson Co. Serial # 7200 it is in very good shape,no rust,on wall for last 35 years.
  2. RJay

RJay Active Member

Are you sure that it is not roll marked C.S. Shattuck on the top of the barrel?. The American Side Snap that I'm familiar with was made be C.S. Shattuck, Hatfield, Ma. from 1878 until 1909. Known best for their palm pistol, they did make single action shotguns and reportedly double barrels. There is a tie in with O.F. Mossberg in the 1900's Some or maybe all of there shotguns were made in the Mossberg factory. The side snap shot gun has a lever that doubles as a trigger guard and a barrel release. There is some collectors interest because of the unusual lever release, 300 to 500 if in good condition. Maybe more, maybe less. Hope that helps.
  3. Anchor Clanker

Anchor Clanker New Member

Both larrymac and RJ are correct----almost. Not only was the American Side Snap made by Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works and C.S. Shattuck, it (they) were made by Hyde & Shattuck as well. As to value, I wouldn't pay $300 for one but someone might. Old "Trade Brand Nmae" shotguns are valued on their condition. An excellent condition might go for as much as $200 and a rusty, rotten incomplete sample might bring $10 for parts.
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

to add confussion there were two actual companies that went by the name 'american arms co". and a couple more that used different variations of the american name. one made "smith carbines" during the civil war and was located in chicopee falls, mass. the best known manufactured shotguns double & single single barrels and revolvers about 1870 through 1893. this company was also located in milwaukee,wis. 1893-1899 and i believe moved to alabama in 1900. the type of single barrel shotguns this company manufactured is hazy today as they are better known for their revolvers and double barrel shotguns although they stopped manufacturing revolver about 1895 of so.

c.s. shattuck also known for a short time as shattuck & hyde did make make a side lever (known as a side snap) single barrel shotgun under the name brand of "american" these were sold through wholesaler/retailer like J.P. Lovell Co. of boston. and portland maine.

before 1883 the shattuck sidesnap single barrel was also sold by j.p. lovell co. as the 'champion side snap single barrel'. after 1883 (when iver johnson started manufacturing firearms for J.P. Lovell Co.) a new side snap single barrel was manufactured and sold by j.p. lovell co.as the 'new champion side snap', it was completely different from the earlier shattuck model. in the 1887 j.p. lovell co. catalog both models are shown with the shattuck version being listed at a reduced price.

i believe this is the source of the misinformation about iver johnson having manufactured a side snap single barrel marked 'american'. i have yet to see a single barrel shotgun marked 'american' that was actually manufactured by iver johnson.

more useless information; in the 1887 j.p. lovell co. catalog one of the two single barrel marked with the 'american' name was a trigger action (barrel release) also manufactured by c.s. shattuck. the other 'american' marked single barrel was a hammerless design that looks a whole lot like one of the early remington designed that had a top lever to break open the action and a side lever to cock the internal hammer.

other actual companies that used variation of the "american" name;
    american machine works
    american nut & arms co.
    american repeating rifle co.
    american standard tool co.

and lastly, only good quality pictures of this shotgun can determine who actiually made it.

bill
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
  5. larrymac

larrymac New Member

Thanks for the info on the gun. here are a few pic's that might help futher ID.Does anyone know of somebody who would be interested in this gun.

Attached Files:

6. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

appears to be a shattuck product. not a shotgun to be fired with modern ammo. one like this is listed in the j.p. lovell co. catalog of 1887. in this catalog on the same page is the NEW champion side snap single barrel shotgun (made by iver johnson). it is listed quite a bit lower in price than the New champion side snap. my feeling is they were closing it out.

comments, part of the side lever seem to be missing and the gun appears to have been refinisned.
    bill
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  7. kopper79

kopper79 New Member

I am interested in maybe buying the shattuck shotgun