American vs. non-American

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by hogger129, Dec 7, 2009.

1. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Sure would love to own one!
  2. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Never fired the 416 or 417. I really like H&K's pistols. As far as their pistols go, they are dead tough and accurate.
  3. wpage

wpage Active Member

No doubt there is much good out there...
    American is the best. No doubt. If you disagree.
    Tell it to the Marines!!
  4. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Definitely. The H&K 416 and 417 obviously look like they are modeled after the M4.

I think whoever designed the M4 had it right if all these other manufacturers are making rifles that are almost the same thing.

In terms of pistols, the M1911 has been around for 99 years and still going strong. A couple of people I worked with who were in the military qualified with these old Colts that they said were "rattleboxes." This was back in the 80's right around the time they started issuing the M9. One guy said the "rattlebox" he shot, which was a surplus 1911 from WWII times, was more accurate than a brand new M9.

As far as the rifles went, he was issued the M16. He has an M1-A. One thing he said was that the M16 was lighter, and used smaller rounds so you could carry more ammo. It was a better service rifle. But in terms of all out effectiveness, he said the M1-A is better. More power, more accurate and it was less prone to problems.

My uncle that was in Nam trained with an M14 in basic and they were issued the original M16A1's. He hated em. He said they would pick up enemy weapons all the time and use em because they didn't malfunction like the early M16s did.

I think they have gotten a lot better though. Now they're up the M16A4 I think? The guys that were over in Iraq said they barely saw any M16s. The ones their unit had were M4's.

Funny thing is that the M1911 and I think the M4 were both Colt designs weren't they? I could be wrong on the M4 because I always thought the M16 was designed by Armalite and manufactured by Colt.

Springfield made some of the best ones too. Their 1911s are some of the finest pistols there are. And they made the M1903, M1 Garand and M14 rifles.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  5. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

The Heckler & Koch 416 & 417 that came out last year are making the M-16 obsolete.

The precision of an M-16 with the durability of an AK. The Fight's over, H&K won.
    The 416 is chambered in 5.56 Nato.
    The 417 is chambered in 7.62 :)
    http://www.hk-usa.com/military_products/hk416_general.asp
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsgstaO18jY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObXZMepn3SI
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010