ammo and electric storms

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stumpjumper, Jul 21, 2012.

1. stumpjumper

stumpjumper Member

just wondering. wonder if it's possible, if say, your car or house were hit by lightning, if there would be a significant enough electrical charge to set off a round or maybe even fire up your reloading bench. I know a spark would be needed, but we're talking a lot of juice here coming out of a bolt. gun safe too close to and outlet, getting energized, that kind of thing. and yes, I know about ball lightning; seen it once in a storm in texas.
  2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure as to if that could or would happen, but I had an out building hit twice.
    And both hits done the same thing. Came thru the metal roof and found it's way down several oak studs in the walls. It split a bunch of them, but not totally ruined.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I'm thinking your house is grounded, unless it's an old one. Could it come in the window, and hit your live ammo? Well, I suppose that anything is possible, I just don't think it's probable!
  4. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

...The path of least resitance to ground.
  5. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

my wife's gmc yukon was hit by lightning while driving a couple ys back. fried the master wire harness, an 800$ ABS module,a nd about other stuff. about 4000$ total damage.. all covered but 800$ under extended warranty. ( radio did later.. hmm?? ) truck stopped dead in an intersection.. all fuses popped.. no power.. nothing.... in any case.. her ccw weapon didn't go off. :)
  6. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Yeah but a long shot BUT if you had wiring close to your metal workbench is could. Maybe a jump to a metal gun safe? Who knows.

There's a tremendous amount of power in a lightning bolt.
  7. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Anything like that can happen. However the likelyhood of it happening is pretty obsolete.
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Watched an 18 wheeler get fried by a lighting bolt while driving on I-10. All he could do was pull it over. That was impressive!
  9. clamman

clamman Member

You could always tie a 30-06 round to a kite and fly it in a thunderstorm:eek::eek::eek:
  10. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that'll do it! One big *POW*.
  11. geds

geds New Member

Had lightning come down a tree into a camp counselor's shack - travel across a clothes line, and explode a tube of toothpaste before exiting the shack out the other side. Oh, and the counselor somehow soiled his drawers!