AMMO AVAILABILITY

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UncleFudd, Apr 29, 2012.

1. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Hey all,
    Finally feeling a little better but no news from the Dr concerning the cancer in the lymph nodes. I guess no news must be good news so I am not going to call him, he has to call me. HA!!!

Just got back from Wy and working on the old 69 ford truck. Engine threw a rod and I had to leave it there with my son, but I found a virgin, 390 out of a 71 Galaxie that had hit a cow. The guy had removed the motor and put it on an old trailer covered it and it has been sitting there for all these years.
    I took it all the way down and the crank and bearings are like new so all is not lost and I got it for $350. I'll go back to the ranch in July to shoot prairie dogs and will put the 390 in while there. I also put new drums, shoes and wheel cyl kits on all four corners and got new clutch, pressure plate and throw-out bearing to put in when the engine is ready. It was fun crawling around under that old bugger and bending the wrenches again while losing the skin and banging the knuckles as usual. Great time bonding with my son and brother while in the process.

Now to my question for everyone on the forum.
    How is everyone finding the availability of ammo and loading components? Are there any problems with finding particular calibers in your areas and if so, which ones?
    Also, how are the prices if you find the ammo at all?

What is the availability of reloading components such as primers, powder and bullets and the prices accordingly.

This should be of interest to everyone and we might be able to help each other if we find shortages or available items depending upon the needs of our friends and neighbors here on the forum.

It seems from what I can find, that with the news of our friendly DHS brothers and sisters ordering more ammo than they could shoot or use in a decade, there has been some panic buying in some areas making some calibers difficult to find and quite expensive if it is available at all.

What say you folks, please.

UF
  2. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I was in Cabela's a few weeks ago and they were out of almost everything. They had signs posted limit 5 box's per customer on all ammo. I ask what was going on and was told they had people buying 50 box's at a time.

I was in there this week and they had re-supplied the shelf's. Looks OK now. I don't know what that was all about.
  3. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Thanks and I sincerely hope others will avail us of the situations in other areas.

UF
  4. mogunner

mogunner Active Member

Here south of St. Louis I only have like three places to buy ammo, Walmart, Buchheits farm and home, and Dunn's sporting goods. I picked up 500 Blazer brass at Dunn's for $10.97 per box of 50, then went to Buchheits as they had PMC 9mm on sale again, same as last month, for $9.97 so I got 500 in that, then on to Walmart where I picked up 700 rounds of 7.62x39, 200 rounds of 9mm and 200 rounds of .40 in Tulammo for $4.97 per 20 in the 7.62, $9.97 for the 9mm and $13.43 for the .40. Oh, and grabbed a couple boxes of CCI Blazer .22 at Buchheits as well, they always have it for $1.89 for 100. Plenty of everything in all three except out of the surplus 7.62x54r at Dunns.
  5. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The Cabelas in Boise is pretty well stocked, and most places look good. Prices have not went up lately, unless you want a Ruger SR1911. Good thread Fudd and we need pics of that 69' ford truck..
  6. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I hope you get good news from your doctor.All the stores and local gunshop I go to look good,No price jumps I coud see.Im wanting to buy an AR and my gunshop said there selling like hotcakes here cause people are getting there tax checks so If I wait til later in the summer those people will need the money and some will sell and if im patient I could save alot of money.I hope hes right.Your right in saying we could help each other out.If one of the regulars on here needed something i could pick up that they couldnt get where they are I surely would work it out with them.
  7. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Good stuff guys.

Mo, if those are ammo prices and not just brass, you have some of the best prices I have seen or heard of yet. Go back and buy all you can get.

Ryan you have the right idea of helping each other of the time is right and we find we can.

Also with components for reloading.
    I may have some brass and bullets that I no longer use and if so for example then I might find someone who needs what I have versus something I may need.
    Same with knowing of good buys on ammo etc we may be able to pass on to others.

We will keep watching and let others know if and what we find I hope.

UF
  8. whirley

whirley New Member

I've been buying components for some time...... I wonder about all the talk from Washington following U.N. rules concerning firearms ownership in this country. Under Hitler and Stalin it was called dictatorship. Today it "just an executive order" because the Republicans won't cooperate. "When the Constitution gets in my way, I'll bypass it!" "I deserve to be reelected".
  9. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I regularly go to Farm & Fleet to get ammunition because they carry Winchester and Remington FMJ and JHP and it's not nearly as expensive as at Gander Mountain.

The last ten trips I've made out there, they've been out of both of em. That's at the one on Stoughton Road. I go to the one in Verona once in awhile to see if they have any, and in the last three trips out there, they've been out too.

So idk if I'm just going on the wrong day, or if someone's just coming in and buying it all right when it gets there.

Online it costs more than going to Gander Mountain.

I think I pay ~$35 for a box of 100 FMJ rounds for WWB. At Gander Mountain it costs ~$10 more. Online I think it's a little more than at Gander Mountain.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  10. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

.22lr ammo could not find in Ct. ordered online
  11. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Hogger
    That is more in line with the prices I have been seeing for ammo. Nothing less than $25 to $35 per box depending on caliber.

Beth, I am surprised to hear that 22 ammo is hard to find.

It seems to be flush or nothing as well for availability and running toward more stores being out of many calibers.

Has anyone tried to find primers, powder or brass for loading and if so are you experiencing any problems.

I am doing a count of my brass in particular and will probably be looking to make some trades for some or outright sale. I would rather trade as it seems to help and to be less expensive all around.

I am not very fast any more so it will take me some time to inventory those I am going to get rid of or to cut down. As far as ammo, I may also have some to trade or sell and will place it on the appropriate thread when I get it ready.

But as i said, it seems to be running toward empty on loading components depending on the area of the country. Lots of stuff available in some areas and none in others.

Keep it up as we may all learn and be able to help others find what they need without getting ripped off in the process.

UF
  12. mb1

mb1 Former Guest

Shelves are stocked everywhere around here. Prices are up about dollar a box for everything over the last six months. The new Academy's prices are 5-10% lower than everywhere else.
  13. mogunner

mogunner Active Member

Yep, it's real honest to God 50 round boxes. Dunn's has done real well by me over the past few years, I've bought two pistols there and was looking for a local FFL to receive my Saiga that I wanted to purchase from Classic Arms a few months ago. Called them and talked to the guy that manages the firearms part of the store, asked them if they were on file with Classic. He asked me for the fax number, said give him ten minutes and they would be... charged $25 for the transfer, about the going rate here. They regularly have the CCI Blazer .22LR on special for $13.99 a brick, the 9mm not so often. Buchheits has had the PMC on sale last month and again this month, it's not my favorite but it works fine. My Walmart here just expanded their ammo selection to include the bulk 100 round packs of Federal for my 9mm as well as Tulammo in several calibers.

I buy as I can, money is tight as usual but I manage a few boxes a month usually, but now only buying when I can find a sale.
  14. Juker

Juker New Member

Interesting - just got this in an email.

Attached Files:

15. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Just stopped by today.

100 rounds (2 boxes of 50) Remington UMC JHP for $54.00
  16. Ken W

Ken W New Member

:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:
    Thanks, I needed that. Nice to get a laugh or two in between moments of being furious about the obnoxiously, unjust high ammo prices.
  17. mogunner

mogunner Active Member

Got my Buchheits ad in the mail today, there on the front page is CCI Blazer LRN .22LR for $15.97 for the 500 round brick. Have to run over there in the morning!
  18. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Here in Alaska, I usually mail in bullets & brass; only buy it on sale; something always is. It's easier to buy primers & powder at Sportsmans in Anch or Fairbanks due to shipping problems but I hear from SSA that many ALaskans get ammo here on the boat. I'm pretty well set for what I need but always looking for something I maybe don't quite have enough of. I figure if one had 500-1000 bullets or supplies to make them for every caliber & hunting gun they own; they are well off. Making a supply run into Anch this upcoming weekend and to bring our daughter home for summer from school, so I called Sportsmans. I wanted to get a few thou of fed 210's, CCI 41's, and some AA 2200. They didn't have any of it. Sales guy said they were down to less than half what they had 6 months back. He said he doubted if it got any better before the election. I'm going to stop in anyway, I'll find something to pick up.
  19. A1armorer

A1armorer New Member

I bought 1-1/4 ton of 9mm mil surplus brass last summer. Still working through it using HS6 and 115gr JHP-FB.
  20. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

sheeeese A1, and I thought i had a lot of 9m brass with my paultry 45,000 new and once fire. But 11/4 ton.
    At least your wife will know where to find you and not likely to run out any time soon. LOL

But I am getting more feedback about the differences in price and availability around the country.
    It appears to be feast or famine for availability depending upon location but one thing is common regardless of location and that is the prices have once again soared.

Glad I am not having to buy anything right now and as soon as I have everything organized I am going to try to do some trading.

UF