Ammo Cans

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dons2346, Feb 2, 2010.

1. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I took a CCW class a couple of weeks ago and the instructor ( a gun store owner) said that as of Sept or Oct, the government will destroy all ammo cans instead of putting them out to surplus. His source of cans used to have over 500,000 of them but hasn't been able to buy any lately and their stock has been depleted to nothing.

Guess we better get them while we can.
  2. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Might be a dumb question, But why would anyone want to destroy 'ammo cans'?
  3. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Scrap value to the Chinese?
    Replaced by plastic?

Surely folks would pay more than scrap prices.
    I'd pay 5 bucks for one. Scrap has to be 50 cents? IF they're lucky?
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

check out armysurpluswarehouse --good sight cans and a whole lot more
  5. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

Ask the instructor about his source on this if you see him again. I find it difficult to believe. They're just sheet metal.
  6. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

His source was his supplier and I have no idea why the govt would want to destroy them.

Maybe because they are being used by geocachers as a watertight cache. Then when they get discovered by a non cacher, they notify the authorities. They then come along with the bomb squad and blow it up.
  7. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    A friend of mine buys all he can get at 2 US Army posts. He said there is no truth to that rumor. However there is fewer surplus cans availabl;e due to the action we are in right now. Now about 10 years ago they went through a time where they did crush all surplus cans but it was over turned when they got a LOT of complaints from consumers and saw just how much money they were loosing. There are actually some types of ammo cans that are on the market now that have never been sold before. Some nice size ones I might add.
  8. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

armysurpluswarehouse has cans for $10 plus shipping? I haven't priced them lately, but they were $6 not long ago in the local shop.

Pops
  9. mncarpenter

mncarpenter New Member

Geez, now I gotta go buy an ammo can.
  10. kmc_xd40

kmc_xd40 New Member

Just FYI...this didn't seem like a bad idea when i saw it... if you're looking for a cost effective way to get a waterproof hard case you should try Fammocan, they provide foam inserts for military ammo cans that will allow for the storage of just about any handgun. check out the videos to see for yourself.

They also have a saddle bag for the ammocans that makes it a great range case.

[​IMG]
  11. Agentwil

Agentwil New Member

The rumor isn't too farfetched. The Obama Administration signed a bill into law that the military must recycle everything they can including brass cartridges; remember this is what the ammo shortage was first blamed on. But with that said here is the website for the The Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service, this where all military surplus is doled out to other federal agencies and the public. I take advantage of this at McGregor Range down by El Paso.

http://www.drms.dla.mil/index.shtml
  12. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Bought 2 .50 cal. ammo cans at Gun show in Mountain Home, Ar. last week for $6 each. First I've seen in some time and they were mostly in good shape. Best I've seen in over a year.