Ammo choice for a .380?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by CampingJosh, Feb 26, 2008.

1. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Indiana
    Though I would prefer a situation in which it would be realistic for me to carry a bigger gun on a consistent basis, the attire for my work usually doesn't allow that (all summer it's shorts/swimtrunks and a tee). If I'm going to carry (and that's why I went through the hassle of getting the license), it has to be a pocket gun that doesn't show at all (and that pocket clip is very enticing). So here in the next couple weeks (next time I can it to the right gun shop), I think I'm going to pick up a little Kel-Tec in .380.

Those of you who have one (or any other tiny .380 for that matter), what do you load it with?

2. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Batesville, Arkansas
    I bought my wife a Bersa Thunder 380 yesterday and after shooting it today I think she may not get it. It is soooooo much fun and really accurater for a small pistol. I plan to load it for her to carry in her purse with Cor-Bon DPX. I love the round and have it for all my carry guns.

3. Went full circle with .380 ammo. back to trusty old Silvertips.

IMHO...whatever brand/type you choose...fire it in the dark to see if it blinds you. (Some brands are better than others.)

4. I carry silver tip's or hydra shok's, Most importantly is to try a few different ones and makes sure they feed and function good in you weapon.

5. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Montgomery, AL
    I have had good luck with Brown Bear, S&B, American Eagle and average performance with Remington, never tried Wold or Winchester, Walmart only had large boxes that I couldn't afford (Was low on money every time) (I usually order mine from J&G or buy at Walmart (with $20 for a box))

6. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Feb 17, 2005
    South Carolina
    You and I agree.. I read a review that Silvertips are the only .380 ammo to adequately expand out of the barrel of a Keltec P3AT.

7. Laserlips

Laserlips New Member

Dec 19, 2004
  8. obxned

obxned Active Member

Mar 4, 2007
  9. Michael G

Michael G New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Garland Texas