The Firearms Forum banner

ammo disposal

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  treecarcass 
#1 ·
I just bought my first new gun in many years and am now breaking it in. It's a Browning Buckmark. It doesnt like the cheap bulk remington ammo I was using in my rifles, shooting at cans and bottlecaps in the desert. I've tried some higher velocity ammo with much more success. Now to my problem, how do I "responsibly" dispose of the handfull of bent, broken ammo I have left over?

Really enjoying the forum,
Thanks,
Jack

#3 ·
Run it back thru the gun several times if possible. It might be that the primer didn't get displaced around the rim properly. Running it back thru will give you a chance to correct a light fireing pin hit, or strike a place on the rim that has primer. If after three hits, and it still don't fire, toss it in the garbage. If it's bent, and broken, and you can't get it to feed, toss it. It's not that much lead.

#4 ·
carver gives great advice. You say you live in the desert right, dig a small hole and bury the bad ones...

#5 ·
Pull the bullets and save for casting at a later date, dump the powder in the flower bed (good fertilizer) and squirt some wd-40 into the case to kill the primer and throw them in the scrap bucket for later recycling. The responsible way other than taking them to your local law enforcement dept.

#7 · (Edited)
When we were young we used to throw them in the fire. But i dont recommend that. Flying brass is hot and can burn you. You could also poke your eye out or something else. So don't throw them in the fire. Throw them in the trash. Wait I got an idea. Bury them along the beach next time you go so that the guys with the metal detectors can have some fun. Just a thought.

#8 ·
Here's a real good idea. Today I was setting up at a gun show and there's a guy there selling brass he picked up at a local indoor ange. He also has BAGS of mixed .22 S, L, and LR that are dirty, dented, bent, you name it. I don't know if he will sell any of it but that's a great idea.

I also shoot in the desert and I have been amazed at the number of .22 rounds I've seen lying all over the place. I originally thought people were careless, but now I realize they were getting rid of their Remington ammo!!

#9 ·
I fired a bunch of remington golden bullet freebie ammo over a chrony to note the consistencies. The lowest velocity I got was in the 900 fps range from a 19 inch bbl. and the highest velocity was 12 something. thats a pretty wide extreme spread. I had no failures to feed or fire out of like 300 or so rounds but if shootn groups is your thing stick with fedral auto match or winchester Xpert. Leave the rems for 20 yd coke cans and bottle caps...;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.