ammo ejecting?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by ryan42, Mar 15, 2012.

1. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I was shooting my 45acp glock today and I reload 230 grain fmj.everything was fine.My daughter started shooting and the casings were ejecting and instead of to the right and back about 2 ft they were hitting her in the chest.I took the gun and fired several shots with no probem.2 questions could it have been how she was holding the gun,meaning shorter arms or could it be because im loading them at the light side on the powder scale?Im loading a 4.5 gr.I dont know if the hotter you load the farther the eject,any ideas?
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

A "recoil-operated" automatic recoils against the shooter, to work. This requires you to have a strong grip and a stiff arm. The major cause of "failure to eject" jams with automatics is "limp wristing", where you do not keep a stiff arm, so the gun loses some of its recoil energy, pushing the shooter's arm backwards.

Because it wastes some of its energy in this matter, it does not push the slide back with as much authority. In many cases, it pushes the slide back so weakly that the empty is not ejected.

What it sounds like, to me, is that your daughter, with (most probably) less upper body strength than you, is limp-wristing. Not enough to cause a "failure to eject" jam, but enough so that the slide is not coming back as hard, so the case is not hitting the ejector as hard, so it is no getting thrown as far from the gun.

She needs to, either, work on her grip, or do some upper body exercises to build up her strength.
  3. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

Yup Alpo got it right, sounds like limp wristing to me.

I want to get a glock in .45 - what model do you have?
    I am becoming a glockfanboy it seems.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  4. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

First, it is great that you are shooting with your daughter! My G30 is pretty forgiving with respect to grip. But, my guess would be the same as the previous comments, not an issue with the load itself. Light loads that function in my 1911s just fail to eject reliably in my G30, it isn't a matter of how the cases eject. Next time, make sure she locks her wrist and elbow, lean into the target just a bit, and see if the ejection pattern changes.
  5. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

That makes since because when I shoot it they eject just fine.They were only hitting my daughter in the chest.See ya learn something new everyday.
  6. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

The same thing happens when my daughter shoot my 1911, she's not strong enough and the recoil/ejection makes it torque to the left and back, so the ejection chamber winds up being more straight up when the empty comes out, she has gotten hit in the forehead with an empty before, make sure you have her wearing eye protection
  7. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I agree.
  8. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Glad to hear you both are enjoying shooting.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Ryan, are you familair with the Robby Positioner bowling wrist brace?

Get one for your daughter to wear when she shoots autos. Its will help the weapon function more relaibly and also reduce her wrist fatique in controlling a .45
  10. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

ok thanks I would have never thought it was all in the grip.But makes perfect since cause I have no problem.I knew I asked the right guys.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Its 40% grip strength and 60% wrist strength. Thats why women generally have more of an issue with 'limp wristing' autos than men do. Its in the bone stucture. Most men are thicker at the wrist which naturally adds some stiffness to the platform. Add to that that most men are on average about 50% stronger than women and thats why you have the big difference.

Again, these are just stats, I do know a few women that can make men cry, and I do know there are men that, well, you know.. :eek: