ammo for 1902 colt .38 auto

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by brendon, Feb 4, 2010.

1. brendon

brendon New Member

Plettenberg Bay, Western Cape, South Africa
    Hi all
    Im in possesion of a late 1904 early 1905 colt automatic pistol. I believe it to be the sport model with the slide serrations on the front end of the slide. Production no 8143. The only problem I have is that the weapon was given to me with only four rounds, which is a bit of a bummer cause its a beautiful piece of kit. Im hoping someone could give me some advice on how to get rounds for it as I live in South Africa and they not exactly a dime a dozen out here. Ive heard that the late .38 super rounds will work as a good substitute as long as the appropriate powder levels are noted. Also any additonal info on the gun would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Brendon
  2. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

These pistols were made for .38ACP. 38 Super is too hot for it. At this time, I don't think any of the big ammo companies are loading the old .38 Colt Automatic round. If you want to shoot your pistol it will be necessary to load your own 38ACP using 38 Super brass but with reduced power loads.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

4. brendon

brendon New Member

Id heard that u could reduce the loads for the supers any ideas where to get the quantity list?
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

6. brendon

brendon New Member

Thanks alot for all the info. Greatly appreciated. Just out curiosity how much are these old colts worth. This one is in really good nick. The blueing has faded a bit, but thats to be expected I guess with a gun made in 1905. thanks again