Ammo for a 40 year old 38 S&W

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by njtrainman, Apr 6, 2009.

1. njtrainman

njtrainman New Member

I can't seem to find ammo for this hand gun. I tried several Cabelas stores no luck. I purchased the gun in Florida about 40 years ago. The old box has the # 38 Smith & Wesson W38SWP. Any help in finding a place that sell this ammo will be appreciated. Thanks john b.
  2. Trainman, what model is the Smith, and what is the cartridge designation shown on the barrel of the revolver? If the weapon is only about 40 years old, it is most likely chambered for the standard pressure .38 Special. I suppose it may be possible that the revolver is chambered for the old .38 S&W, but that seems unlikely. The .38 S&W was considered obsolete even 40 years ago. If the revolver is indeed chambered for standard .38 Special ammunition, cartridges for it are readily available almost anywhere. Just be sure you are buying standard .38 Special ammo, not the +P variety. If it is +P, that will be shown on the ammo box. More modern .38s are usually approved for use with +P ammo which produces higher pressures and thus higher velocities, and may not be safe in older revolvers. If the +P designation is not shown on the ammo box, the ammo is standard pressure and should be safe in your revolver.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If the gun was new, 40 years ago, it could be a Model 32, Terrier, or a Model 33, Regulation Police. Both of these were 5-shot J frames which were discontinued in 1974. He doesn't say he bought it NEW, 40 years ago. Could very well be a surplused Victory Model, or even a New Departure (they didn't discontinue that one until 1940). If it is any of these, then it would be 38 Smith and Wesson, not 38 Special.

If your gun is, in fact, chambered for 38 S&W, several manufacturers still load it. Midway lists five different companies. http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#38 S&W__653__-_ They are sold out of all of them, but they do carry it. :) (Ignore the first one on the page. The search engine got it by mistake.)
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Try www.ows-ammo.com
  5. archer1

archer1 New Member

njtrainman,

contact me regarding .38 S & W ammo.

archer1
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  6. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

last week i had a desire to fire my webley, it's been a while since i shot her, so on my way to a firends place to shoot it i stopped at my local gun store no 38 s&w went to a second shop same thing then to a third, what the hell... haven't tried on line yet but will check out the web site alpo provided. not sure why this round would be dried up but around me it seems impossible to find :confused:
  7. pistolero57

pistolero57 New Member

Please see the ad I just posted for .38 S&W ammo.
  8. jmw1646

jmw1646 New Member

I have two boxes of 38 smith. One 1/2 full, the other full. Anyone interested?
  9. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

I have 22 plus boxes of W38SWP (over 1100 rounds) made by Winchester
  10. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Looks like the original poster never came back after he started this thread.
  11. jondar

jondar New Member

One post. Par for the course much of the time.
  12. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

He probably found some after a year. Coulda said goodbye though.:rolleyes:
  13. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Interesting you should think so. Usually, when someone is leaving a board and feels the need to say "bye", my reaction is "shut the heck up and go, already".
  14. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I was just being sarcastic.
    Your reaction would be correct Sir.
  15. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I think the last trojan I got killed my sarcasm detector. Any idea where I can download another one? :p
  16. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I feel that those 1 time question posters could come back at least a second time to say thanks for the answers!!
  17. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

This could be a record 4 one time posters in the same thread.
  18. dmrshooter

dmrshooter New Member

I have a old Colt 38 Police Positve that takes the 38 S&W and I am having trouble finding it also. Is the W 38 SWP mentioned the same as the 38 S&W ammo?
  19. z.kevino

z.kevino New Member

If the W38SWP will work in my grandfather's S&W Regulation Police revolver, i may be interested in buying some. Please PM me...
  20. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

coincidentally the local gunstore has 38 s&w in stock