The Firearms Forum banner

Ammo for a 40 year old 38 S&W

23K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  glenb50 
#1 ·
I can't seem to find ammo for this hand gun. I tried several Cabelas stores no luck. I purchased the gun in Florida about 40 years ago. The old box has the # 38 Smith & Wesson W38SWP. Any help in finding a place that sell this ammo will be appreciated. Thanks john b.

G
#2 ·
Trainman, what model is the Smith, and what is the cartridge designation shown on the barrel of the revolver? If the weapon is only about 40 years old, it is most likely chambered for the standard pressure .38 Special. I suppose it may be possible that the revolver is chambered for the old .38 S&W, but that seems unlikely. The .38 S&W was considered obsolete even 40 years ago. If the revolver is indeed chambered for standard .38 Special ammunition, cartridges for it are readily available almost anywhere. Just be sure you are buying standard .38 Special ammo, not the +P variety. If it is +P, that will be shown on the ammo box. More modern .38s are usually approved for use with +P ammo which produces higher pressures and thus higher velocities, and may not be safe in older revolvers. If the +P designation is not shown on the ammo box, the ammo is standard pressure and should be safe in your revolver.

#3 ·
If the gun was new, 40 years ago, it could be a Model 32, Terrier, or a Model 33, Regulation Police. Both of these were 5-shot J frames which were discontinued in 1974. He doesn't say he bought it NEW, 40 years ago. Could very well be a surplused Victory Model, or even a New Departure (they didn't discontinue that one until 1940). If it is any of these, then it would be 38 Smith and Wesson, not 38 Special.

If your gun is, in fact, chambered for 38 S&W, several manufacturers still load it. Midway lists five different companies. http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#38 S&W__653__-_ They are sold out of all of them, but they do carry it. :) (Ignore the first one on the page. The search engine got it by mistake.)

#6 ·
last week i had a desire to fire my webley, it's been a while since i shot her, so on my way to a firends place to shoot it i stopped at my local gun store no 38 s&w went to a second shop same thing then to a third, what the hell... haven't tried on line yet but will check out the web site alpo provided. not sure why this round would be dried up but around me it seems impossible to find :confused:

#13 ·
He probably found some after a year. Coulda said goodbye though.:rolleyes:
Interesting you should think so. Usually, when someone is leaving a board and feels the need to say "bye", my reaction is "shut the heck up and go, already".

#21 ·
Ive just reloaded 1000rds ( plus 40 for testing before hand ) 38s/w using 38.357 flat point R/N lead bullets weight 160 grn, which doesn`t need to go through the resizer and 2.6 grn shotgun powder.I fired them from a target sighted Parker Hale converted Victory model,and at 25yrds I was very surprised at how well they shot. Recoil very pleasant,and no primer pressures.I am using a selection of both nickel & brass cases of various makes,and about one in 30 or so bullets are a bit lose in the case,all the others are a good tight fit.Makes shooting this calibre very reasonable price wise,and also very enjoyable.Maybe someone has a batch of empties they dont want for you to give them a try.

#22 ·
I use 148 grain HBWC. I load them to the same overall length of 150 grain RN, and use 150 grain data. I believe the hollow base will expand and grip the rifling. Seems like shooting a 357 bullet down a 361 bore would not be very accurate. Although I've had several people say they do it and it's fine, just like Kestral did. The results are great with mine, although, since I've never slugged the barrels, they might all have 357 bores.

#23 ·
Ive been wondering Alpo about the w/c bullet in the 38s/w,& after seeing yours I will give them a try.I also purchased from our local Magtech supplier some hollow base 158 grn R/N bullets finished in a very dark grey almost black finish quoted for 38spec which also give a very good result at 25 yrds.They are supplied in bags of 250,might be worth a try as the price was very reasonable.The main box was labeled LOT 204001, if there are more than one type.I also find I can turn out a lot more 38s/w per hour than 38 spec, if its quantity you need in a Ltd time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.