Ammo for Springfield Armory M1A

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 45fullmoon, Nov 11, 2009.

1. 45fullmoon

45fullmoon New Member

I inherited a Springfield Armory M1A from my son, and in reading the owner's manual I noticed that it says to use "military ammunition" with harder primers and warns that using "civilian ammunition" may result in slam-fires.

Has anybody ever experienced this problem?

I have some ammo (Winchester Super-X, Federal and American Eagle) that I purchased to use in my bolt-action .308. If that is not OK to use, where would I find military-type ammo that is suitable to shoot in it?

I hope this is the right forum for this question...
  2. dge479

dge479 New Member

This is a good question, I dont know either but I have an M1 Garand, 30-06. it is getting harder to find the surplus ammo 30-06. I buy the Greek, Ball by the can of 400 rounds. the supply seems to be drying up. what can i use in its plave that will not hut the rifle.

For your .308 did you try any gun shows? often there is someone there or multiple selling this type of ammo.