Ammo for the Ruger super shooter

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

BlackGun
    (11/16/01 8:31:44 pm)
    Reply Ammo for the Ruger super shooter
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Postal aroused my couristy about the 10/22 post over at Brand X's "Ask the Experts" So I went over and read the post. Now I'll ask the real experts. As many of the family knows. I'm the proud owner of one of Doc's Ruger .920" super shooters. This Ruger by the way has a Butler Creek 18" carbon fiber barrel (.920"
    diameter), Butler Creek synthetic stock, Power Custom internals (hand
    prepped and polished), Stainless trigger with overtravel stop, Volquartsen
    extractor, synthetic bolt buffer. Trigger pull set at 2 lbs with reworked
    factory springs. Harris Bi Pod and a BSA 6X24X50MM scope.

I know there are tons of different ammo on the market for a 22LR. But what do you guys think is the best ammo for the tighest group. Doc shot this gun in before I got it and it will shoot a group within a dime at 50 yards. What ammo will take me the distance, what ever the Max is?
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 11/16/01 8:33:18 pm

TallTLynn
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/16/01 8:37:32 pm)
    Reply Re: Ammo for the Ruger super shooter
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My dear friend (yeah I know - lol). Truth to tell I wouldn't have a clue - until reading on these boards I thought ammo was ammo - and quite frankly to some extent still do. My Winchester Wild Cat ammo (it was cheap all right) and my 30 year old Remington ammo seem to shoot and hit the targets just fine.

I on the other hand need to practice aiming a little more - but hey what can I say!

Good luck and I'll be reading right along with you to find out what ammo I should be using for my .22lr rifles and handgun.

shooter22
    (11/16/01 8:52:16 pm)
    Unless the CCI stingers work for you I'd stay away from the hyper velocity stuff. I tend to like the winchesters for just plinking. I then use Eley match for serious target shooting. And for squirrel I use Eley subsonic exclusively. A good hyper that I do use is the Remington Yellow jacket. HAve taken a few critters with them.

shooter22

AntiqueDr
    (11/16/01 8:55:41 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: Ammo for the Ruger super shooter
    CCI Green Tag Standard Velocity.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

gpostal
    (11/16/01 9:20:54 pm)
    I love the Remington golden bullet {9.00 for 500 at ww},the are cheap and still get a good grouping with them
    I like subsonic also but like other bullets you have to rework your scope {in your case} to adjust to the bullet drop you will have ,some manufactures subsonic drop twice that of a hyper velocity even up to 11 inches at 100 yards , and they are not as cheap

there are matchgrade .22 on the market ,but the reason i shoot 22. in the first place is becuase thats all i can afford

t as you get better you will get more picky ,after a while you would rather not shoot at all if you cant get good ammo ,nothing more frustrating than a keyholed or flyer bullet screwing up a good grouping

TallTLynn
    (11/16/01 9:28:53 pm)
    gpostal - you are most likely correct.

Right now I have a lot of fairly cheap .22lr ammo - it's good for practicing and I can hit black pretty good at 75 yards with the Marlin (the Savage is a little light for me so I don't do as well).

All things considering when I'm a little more discerning I'll be buying the good stuff - like I do for the 9mm and the 30-06.

LIKTOSHOOT
    (11/16/01 10:16:30 pm)
    BG, there is no magic bullet...unless you build it around one specific round. You will have to buy several brands and try each for patterns and consistant grouping. It means your going to have to work for it. Buy, shoot, pattern, clean....start over and repeat. The BC barrel is 17" and I don`t care what the box or outside measurement says. So once again....................

BITE ME!
    America, we are the symbol of Freedom and Liberty......

BlackGun
    (11/16/01 11:19:41 pm)
    Mike, your opinion is well noted and makes a hell of a lot of sense. Thanks for the advise. I saw this and thought of you!

BITE ME!

rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 11/16/01 11:24:23 pm

Xracer
    (11/17/01 10:03:57 am)
    You can take two consecutively numbered guns off an assembly line, and find they like very different brands or loads of ammunition.

BG....the answer is (to paraphrase LTS).....whatever your gun shoots best. And, no, I'm not being a wiseguy. You may even find your gun likes one brand at 50 yds. and another at 100......and, depending how picky you are about accuracy, this may change over time as you shoot the gun in.

However, since most rifles are more accurate than the person shooting them, these small differences only show up if you shoot from a machine rest. Just try a bunch of different ammo and see what works best for you.

Different name
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (11/17/01 11:23:05 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: Ammo for the Ruger super shooter
    Know anything about: REMINGTON
    22 Cyclone: Hollow Point Bullet Design For Rapid, Dependable Expansion??
    Kleanbore Priming. Lead, Round Nose, Hollow Point Bullet.
    Non-fouling Lubricated Bullet. Positive feeding even in autoloaders.
    Bullet Weight: 36 grains. Velocity: Muzzle 1280 fps. 100 yds: 1017 fps. Bullet Style: Lead, Round Nose. Hollow Point. Energy: Muzzle 131 ft-lbs. 100 yds: 82 ft-lbs. 3.0" drop at 100
    yds.
    Charlie D

Thanks.