Ammo Help! Wax coating on bullets disappeared

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Hatcherdad, May 1, 2012.

1. Hatcherdad

Hatcherdad New Member

Please help!!! What happened to my bullets?

I stored some PPU 38 S&W lead round nose ammo in a dry box with desiccant silicant gel to absorb moisture. Also I kept some of the rounds not in a dry box in a speed loader. Also the bullets were purchased about 18months ago. These are for a S&W 38 revolver from WW2. not a 38special

The ones in the dry box look completely different from when they were purchased. They look like light colored pourus lead. It looks like the coating on them dried up and disappeared and they feel rough now. What happened and can I still shoot them or not? Do I need to relube somehow first and if so what do I buy to do it?

The bullets outside the drybox in the speedloader look fine like I just bought them. Nice dark hard warxy look to them and they are smooth to touch still.
  2. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

wax has moisture..desiccant did its job! but its ok to shoot them still.
  3. Orin

Orin Member

I tend to agree so long as the exterior of the lead has not deteriorated. It takes a long time but lead will combine with oxygen & "rust" It gets a rough, porous looking surface. Those I'd not shoot... Although lead IS far softer than steel. Hmmm... alternate inputs?
    Anyway, most of the bullet's working lube is within the area protected by the brass. Still there. You might try a light scrub with fine steel wool & see if the dull zone's very thin. Fresh lead shines.