Ammo or lack there of...

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by firefighter1635, Nov 17, 2012.

1. ammohoarder

ammohoarder New Member

The way this country is headed it is good to stock up on ammo and have a way to reload all your spent rounds. A time is coming when we will have to defend our family, our food, and our lives. Some areas in the country are getting hit hard with people buying extra ammo since the election. If you live in one of these areas you might consider going online to Georgia ammo (Canned Heat), they sell ammo in bulk at very good prices. I have around 12,000 rounds and the ability reload each round several times if needed.
  2. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Well, I guess some folks are more picky than I am and I have heard that some guns dont cycle well with the steel ammo but I have had a few ARs and I have yet to have a problem. I am the type to scrub mine after each use too so that may be important. Im just going by my own personal experience with it, I shoot it all the time. I like the price.
  3. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

My gun shop says that the steel casings are rough on the extractor in the long run, and they are selling it on sale for dirt cheap compared to brass.

Oh, and no ammo problems here at Wal Mart.
  4. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Steel cased ammo is fine. It's the rust proof coating ( lacquer ) with some brands that can gum up the action. No lacquer= no problem.

Steel ammo is most often Berdan primed, some say the Berdan primers are hard on the firing pin and some say a special (longer) pin is needed for reliable ignition. YMMV
  5. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier New Member

Why would you worry about steel cased ammo? The cost of a firing pin an extractor? The amount you save will buy many of these parts. I have shot many thousand thru my Colt SPII no problems. :)
  6. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

I guess that would depend on the firearm and when it breaks. A broken firearm at the range = no big deal. A broken firearm in a hunting, Self-Defense situation or during compitition = Big Deal. Also a broken pin in a Ruger Mini will require a trip back to the factory for repairs, PIA.
  7. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Can you recommend some subsonic .22 that will still cycle the action on a Buckmark?

Also, is ss ammo in 9mm a concern in cycling at all?
  8. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

9mm ss cycles my m-11 just fine.. :)
  9. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

cci makes a low noise 22 lr. it does not, repeat does not cycle a 1022, or a gsg1911.

remington makes a sub sonic 22 lr that will in both guns, i personally do not know about the buckmark. I have been getting the remington's at wally world. You can also find them at midway.

the remington shoot about 200 fps faster then the cci. The cci is around 700 fps and the remington is just under the 1000 fps range.

9mm I load my own, i use my chrony and go from there.
  10. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I am shooting wolf military steel case coated berdan primed ammo and its great shooting stuff. I guess some guns can be picky and you need to buy a box or two of the steel case to try it prior to buying a case to make sure. It may end up gumming up your action after a while, but I dont know because I scrub mine after each session...
  11. soundguy

i just compired a box of tula and wolf i had (762x39) while loading some strippers.

wolf was un laqured, tula was laquered, and had red sealing on primers.
  12. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

DD, i'll try a couple boxes of steel to see how it does, It's a Sig Sauer M400. I do the same as you say you do, I clean my firearms after every trip. Wether I fire one round or one thousand, it gets cleaned. I'm OCD about clean guns.
  13. soundguy

i knda expect martial law will be enacted.. adn thet may effectively halt the legal 'business' trade of firearms, and probably ammo for civvies.

as long as you keep your head down and not causing trouble.. hopefully there will be no door to door.. etc.. IMHO.. drawing the least attention possible in a bad situation is the best bet..
  14. soundguy

just curious.. but what is the overall maeup of early milsurp 762x39

I have used other late milsurp that was steel.

what was early? IE.. when sks was issued... brass cased?