ammo question-don't laugh

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by BETH, Nov 5, 2009.

1. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i went to gun store one time told him i wanted 22lr he gave me ammo then said r u using semi auto i said yes he took ammo back and said it was not for semi auto. my question if a box is marked 22lr how do i know if is for semi auto, rifle,revolver???????
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Beth, nobody's gonna laugh.

I think he just knew that it wouldn't be ideal for semi-autos, some of the types of ammo don't cycle well in pistols, like hollowpoints.
  3. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

The guy sounds like an idiot to me. 22LR does not know the difference between semi-auto , revolver or rifle. Some guns prefer specific brands and types but that is determinate on the individual gun.
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

i had a longer answer typed out, but it disappeared........????

may have been subsonic or lower velocity ammo, doesnt cycle in semi-autos very well at all.

you can shoot most anything in a revolver or rifle.
  5. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

Beth, nobody is going to laugh @ you for asking a question about firearms or ammunition for same.

Me thinks the guy was just trying to impress you w/ his so called knowledge..... if it says LR (long rifle) on the box, you should be able to shoot it in any firearm that is marked "shoots lr". Now, if you had picked up a box of 22lr target ammo, it might have not had enough power to operate the semi-automatic action.

IIRC, CCI - Stingers shouldn't be fired in a Ruger 10-22, but you didn't say what firearm you were buying ammo for.

SR :)
  6. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

ok but when buying box does not say for rifle or revolver when buying22lr.if box says 22lr it could be ammo for rifle right?
  7. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i can use standard velocity right
  8. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

SR
  9. woolleyworm

it won't say specifically on the box in the majority of cases. It will state velocity usually, along with bullet wt and configuration. The owners manual for your gun is where the most important info is at, as you know, your gun manual states that CCI stingers are recommended. since they are a high velocity ammo, you should be able to buy other brands of high vel ammo and get decent results. Buy target or subsonic and you can bet on jams and misfeeds. Hope this helps, there is only 387 different types of .22 ammo, so no worries about a wee bit of confusion.
  10. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

What kind of rifle do you have Beth?

SR :)
  11. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

have a walther p22 semi auto been shooting cci mini mags but i am going to walmart to try other ammo so far i got-don't buy HP don't buy target or subsonic. want to know when buying 22lr how do i know i am not buying 22lr for a rifle
  12. woolleyworm

I think she is going to be using this for her P22, i believe. Guess it's correct. :D:D

The high velocity ammo that you need for the P22 is mostly used for rifle ammo. Most bolt action and lever action rifles can use hv ammo. Ruger and several other manufacturers warn against using it in their semi-auto rifles though.

just match what your manuf specs in the manual to what you're buying. Data is fairly well standardized on the boxes.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  13. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

you got it woolleyworm what a memory
  14. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

The LR part of .22LR is just the type of .22 it is, it has nothing to do with rifles. There is .22 short, .22L (mostly extinct) and .22LR. The .22LR is the most common, and there are lots of varieties of that out there, different points, different velocities, yep, hundreds!
  15. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

so the ammo i am using can be used in a rifle? can i use standard velocity or stick with the HV