Ammo Question; Hey all you experts!

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by the Barbarian, Feb 29, 2012.

1. the Barbarian

the Barbarian New Member

:DI went to Gander Mountain yesterday, and they had two 500 count boxes of Winchester M*22 Long Rifle for sale at:p $44.bucks for both and an old sticker crossed off for $57.00 on each of them. Is the stuff any good?:confused: Why is it so high priced, I've never seen it before? Jus wundrin? JB-)
  2. chubcobear

chubcobear New Member

I bought it in past, shot it and liked it. But I don' know if I would buy it again.
    It did OK, but not worth the extra dinero.
  3. the Barbarian

the Barbarian New Member

Was the ammo you bought that pricy?:confused:
  4. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

I bought Winchester ammo for my 22 magnum and it wasnt worth the you know :D

:dance:
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

You sure it's 500 round boxes? Gander Mountain has it 55 dollars for 1000 rounds, which comes to about 2.75 a box of 50. That's too much, in my opinion, but the last 22s I bought were less than a dollar.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...ester_22_LR_M_22_Ammunition_40_gr_1_000_count

Now, if that's 44 bucks for a box of a thousand, that's 2.20 a box, which is about normal price, these days. If it is, indeed, 44 for a box of 500, it's WAAAAAAAY too damn much money.
  6. the Barbarian

the Barbarian New Member

Yes it was a thousand rounds for $44.bucks in two 500 count boxes rubberbanded together.
  7. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 Member

an Academy here in Texas had a similar "Sale" last month. picked up a thousand. worked well in all of my items except my Advantage Arms Glock 22LR conversion. that thing will not load ANY form of Winchester round. (But at least the company stated that on the online manuals that i read before i bought the kit.)

IMHO, they are ok but seems on the high end for bulk pack ammo. now if they were in 50 -100 rds to a box and were more along a target to match accuracy, i'd prolly stock up on them.

hope this helps,

Curlyjoe
  8. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

I've never seen a good price on ammo at Gander Mtn.. I've bought rifles there but their ammo is always overpriced.

I'd much rather go to a Dicks and buy some CCI SV ammo for $25 a brick. It's decent ammo for a decent price. It seems to work well in just about every rifle which isn't true of most .22 ammo. If you want something cheaper get CCI Blazer these days. If you want something better get Wolf MT. But of course every rifle likes different ammo. The only way you will know for sure is to try a bunch of different stuff and see what works best.
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

In my experience CCI Std Vel ammo works in just about everything. It is Std Vel ammo so is easier on the guns. It is the least expensive accurate ammo you can buy.

For pinking guns I have found the Federal Bulk Pak #745 to have fewer Failures-to-Fire (DUDs) than Blazer, which used to be my plinker ammo. Both Blazers and Federal Bulk are High Velocity ammo and they or any other High Velocity ammo should never be used in any High Standard pistol or guns intended for Standard Velocity ammo only.

Anyway that's my experience and yours may differ.

LDBennett