Ammo question. Short barrels

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

zombienomore
    (2/15/02 11:29:31 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Ammo question. Short barrels
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Short barrleled .357 mags really bark.

For my 2 1/2 inch 686...........

What are your recommendations for the best defense ammo?

One for carry, one for in the house.

Thanks
    Rog

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/19/02 9:51:12 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Ammo question. Short barrels
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I will give it a try zombienomore. I am no expert on handgun ammo but I would think that hollowpoint ammo would give you the best knockdown power and the least penetration.
    We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

Edited by: warpig883 at: 2/19/02 9:56:14 pm

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/19/02 10:27:52 am)
    Remington markets a medium velocity 125 Gr Hollow point that I use in my SP 101. It has far less bark that full power 357 but still has far more power than the 38spl+P.
    Rem part # is R357M11

And welcome aboard

Edited by: Smoky14 at: 2/19/02 10:30:05 am

zombienomore
    (2/19/02 9:22:23 pm)
    Are those the Golden Sabres?

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/20/02 10:18:19 am)
    No, they are an exposed hollow point with copper jacket. They seem to be quite effective. The muzzle flash is reduced and the expansion is complete.

I like them. Try a box and I think you will find something you'll think so too.

If not all it cost was a box of shells.

The BOSS, that's Mrs Smoky, really thinks they're the cats ass.

WV Mike
    (2/20/02 7:44:38 pm)
    I agree the short barreled mags are tough on the shooter. My smith model 19-3 in .357 mag with a 2 1/2 " barrel is a real hand full with full power loads. (Read: not for the faint of heart.) I have been experimenting with 125 gr. JHP +P loads. I have a lot more control of the gun and double action accuracy is possible with these loads. I figure controlability and accuracy is more important that sending the big chunks down range allover the place. The Remington Med. Velocity shells may be the ticket.

Thanks for asking the question!

Mike

zombienomore
    (2/20/02 8:56:33 pm)
    Thanks for the replies.

It's not the bark I worry about. It's the effectiveness.

Recoil and blast never bothered me.

I just want something that will "do the job" out of the short barrel.

kornhauser
    (2/28/02 6:42:09 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Ammo question. Short barrels
    I might be wrong, but one of my range-masters at my old department issued me 158 grain JHP rather than 125 grain JHP for a short barreled .357 and .38 special that I had as a back-up and off-duty weapon.

He commented that the heavier bullet would penetrate better and loose less energy, even though there is a tremendous loss of velocity from the shorter barrel.

Does that make sense?

SW Man
    (3/6/02 10:28:53 pm)
    Best ammo I have found for 357 is HydraShoks, 158gn. I carry them exxclusively in my 357's and I carry a 357 everywhere!
    The second admendment GUARANTEES the Constitution and the other nine.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/6/02 10:51:41 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Ammo question. Short barrels
    I've got 20-boxes left of Fed Hydra-Shock .357-Mag
    Law Enforcement 50rd. boxes left if anyone is interested
    and with a substantial discount to TFF members!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator