Ammo question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Redneck2000, May 4, 2004.

1. Redneck2000

Redneck2000 New Member

Just got a CZ-52 that uses the 7.62x25 rounds, but don't know anything abt this ammo designation. The 7.62 obviously is the bullet diameter (7.62mm), right? but what does the x25 mean? Thx for any info...:(
  2. BlueTic

BlueTic New Member

Very powerfull hangun round I think the case length is 25 - I'll go measure one - yep 25 is the case length. Much more umph than a 9mm with the bottle neck case design...
  3. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Historical Notes The 7.62x25mm Tokarev was the offical Soviet pistol cartridge adopted in 1930 for the Tokarev Model TT-30 and modified Model TT-33 automatic pistols. The pistols are a basic Browning-type design similar to the Colt 45 Auto pistol. However, these incorporate many original features, to simplify manufacturing processes, and must be considered an advance over Browning's original patented design. These pistols often have a crude finish, but are well made and of excellent design. These have a 4 1/2-inch barrel and a magazine capacity of eight rounds. Large quantitites have been sold as military surplus. Some were made in Communist China and Hungary, as well as in Russia. The Hugarian-made Tokarev, in a modified form called the Tokagypt, is chambered for the 9mm Parabellum cartridge. The Chinese began exporting both pistols and ammunition to the United States in 1987 at very reasonable prices.

General Comments The cartridge is very similar in dimension to the 7.63mm (30) Mauser and most brands of Mauser ammunition can be fired in the Tokarve pistol. The 7.62mm Tokarev is a fair field cartridge for small game with good velocity and flat trajectory, but needs softpoint bullets for maximum effectiveness. The handloader can use loading data for the 7.63 Mauser. The Speer 30-caliber plinker bullet of 100 grains makes a good hunting bullet, but because it is slightly heavier than the standard weight, it must be loaded to lower velocity.

Chinese and Russian ammunition are steel cased and Berdan primed with corrosive primers. Such ammunition is not reloadable. Recently, Hansen Cartridge has imported quantitites of 7.62x25mm ammunition with reloadable cases and non-corrosive Boxer primers.

Source: Cartridges of the World, 10th Edition p273
    Last edited: May 5, 2004
  4. Redneck2000

Redneck2000 New Member

Thank you both for the feedback. I do appreciate it. The ammo I have has no markings but the case is a copper color, same as the bullet jacket, while the primer has a distinctively brass color. The bullet is held in place by three "punches" equally spaced around the case mouth. It is made in China by NORINCO and is labeled as non-corrosive.

Thx again... :)
  5. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Never dry fire that pistol Never
    a lot of our club members have them and they all say that the only weak spot is the firing pin if dry fired the pin will break I do know that this has happened to four pistols on the range.
  6. Redneck2000

Redneck2000 New Member

Thx for the warning abt dry firing. I had read that in several places and will be sure to heed it. Also, somewhere I saw an ad for a hard steel replacement firing pin, just in case one does break. Any knowledge of these pins?
  7. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Not right off hand but I will ask the guys that had to replace them and find out what I can and email you when I get it
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

redneck2000:

Here is the place to go for CZ52 info:
    www.makarov.com/cz52/index.html

I am buying one now and anticipate reloading for it. Here is what I found:

Dies-Lee steel 3 die set 30 Tokarev (must use case lube)

Dillon shell plate and buttons for 9mm and powder funnel C-13564(pistol style) as used on 30cal M1 Carbine

Bullets: Hornady 90gr XTP in .308, Sierra 85gr FMJ-RN, Sierra 110gr RN (use 308 pistol bullets)

Accurte Arms loading data avialble as addendum from their web site: can use No.'s 2,5,7,9 but No. 9 gets 1972 FPS from a Sierra 85 gr bullet out of a 9 inch test barrel!

Starline makes new cases for 7.62 x 25 (30 Tokarev)

Midway has all of the above(except Dillon stuff) but so do others.

LDBennett
  9. Redneck2000

Redneck2000 New Member

Thx, all.
    LDB: I've added that website to my favorites list and looking fwd to exploring it later.

:D :D :D
  10. Redneck2000

Redneck2000 New Member

Well, I took the new CZ-52 for a test drive today. Snappish buggers, aren't they? :p

First two mags, the slide stayed back after the 7th round and the 8th did not feed (it just stayed in the mag). Pulling the slide back slightly and releasing it caused the last round to feed. After the first two mags, no more problems.

I see why NRAJOE likes these things. When you crank one off, you're glad you're on the BACK end of it.

I'm grateful for all the advice and info y'all have given me...:) :) :)