AMMO QUESTION

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

gamehunter3
    (3/30/02 3:40:14 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All AMMO QUESTION
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM? I WENT TO THE RANGE TODAY AND TOOK MY NEW UNWRAPPED M44 (WHAT A BRUTAL LITTLE GUN THIS IS, VERY ACCURATE) BUT MY SKS GAVE ME PROBLEMS. I USED THE WOLF PREFORMANCE AMMO 7.62X39MM AND WHEN I FIRED A ROUND THE SHELL CASING STAYED STUCK IN THE BARREL AND I COULDN'T GET THE BOLT OPEN. THE FIRST TIME IT CAME OUT WITH I LITTLE FIDDLING BUT THE SECOND ROUND WAS REALLY STUCK. I HAD TO BRING THE GUN HOME AND TAKE IT ALL APART. THE BARREL IS VERY CLEAN SO I THINK THIS MAY BE SOME BAD AMMO. THE USED CASING LOOKS LIKE IT IS A LITTLE SWOLLEN. HAS ANYBODY HAD THIS A PROBLEM WITH THE WOLF BRAND AMMO?

THANKS JERRY IN FLORIDA SUNNY AND MID 80'S

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/30/02 7:18:06 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: AMMO QUESTION
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have not tried wolf ammo.
    However if you go to

pub7.ezboard.com/bsurvivorssksboards

you will find lots of posts over the last 3 months dealing with just that problem.
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum
    To err is human. But to really screw things up you just about have to have a computer.

runabout199
    (3/31/02 11:00:19 am)
    my dad just bought a ak47 made in romania and he also has a sks made in romania and we have shot about a thousand rounds of wolf out of it and no problems here sorry bout your luck
    semper fi

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/31/02 7:36:12 pm)
    Jerry check out your chamber closely, if the case is NOT broken when you get it out...

Just a guess, but that sounds pretty close to a problem lots of Mosin Nagant shooters experience if a lot of the green lacquered steel cased ammo is fired through them...the heat causes some of the lacquer to come off the cases and build up in the chamber...and sooner or later it gets tough to chamber or extract.

There's a post somewhere here by Moska where he uses a 20 guage swab and finest valve polishing (not lapping) compound he can get, and an electric drill to polish the chambers...I haven't had to try it yet, but it sounds like it would work...

Does other ammo seem to work in it OK?

BTW, I fired about 40 or so rounds of Wolf through my Romanian SKS before I sold it with no problems
    "Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

gamehunter3
    (4/1/02 8:05:13 pm)
    A FRIEND OF MY WIFE SAYS I NEED TO GET BRASS AMMO AND NOT USE THE STEEL CASE. THE WOLF AMMO THIS GUY GAVE ME DOES HAVE THE GREENISH LAQUER ON IT. WOULD CARBURATER CLEANER TAKE THIS LAQUER OFF? OTHER THAN THIS PROBLEM THE SKS SHOOTS GREAT.

THANKS JERRY IN FLORIDA SUNNY 85

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/1/02 9:55:17 pm)
    Well, Now -

The carb cleaner will most likely take the lacquer off, but if you dunk the stuff instead of wiping each round with a cloth, chances are the solvent will penetrate the case and contaminate the powder or the primer (or both). See tons and tons of the Wolf brand crap out at the gunrange anymore because it's so cheap. Also, see lots of rounds going into the defective ammo discard cans, too!

Seller & Belloit ammo seems to function just fine thru all the 7.62 x 39's and the 7.62x54's will no problems. My suggestion? Shoot up or trade off the remaining Russian stuff and invest in some of the brass cased ammo.

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/3/02 3:20:23 am)
    Bought a large quantity of Wolf ammo in '99 for use in my SKS, have shot several hundred rounds through it since without any trouble.