Ammo Reloading...

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ballistic
    (12/18/02 4:49:31 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Ammo Reloading...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How hard is it? does it save you that much money vs buying rounds? i have no info at all about reloading and was thinking if im gunna get into competion shooting that i might wanna load my own rounds, what kinda quip do i need? training?

thanks,
    Don
    "reloading noob"

Ballistic
    (12/18/02 4:55:51 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del 1 more thing....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    how dangerous is it? im 17 and i wouldnt wanna lose a thumb/finger or arm in the process...

Ballistic
    (12/18/02 5:06:34 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del OOOH
    i think im gunna get into reloading, cuz if i do then i could finally own that Browning M2 ive always wanted and i could blow 10K rounds and it be a lot cheaper! also is there a way to link rounds on your own?

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/18/02 3:43:58 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: OOOH
    Hi, Ballistic.

May I suggest getting yourself some reloading books at magazine rack, or gun store, or get a video tape explaining the process...they can be had from Dillon Precision Inc., RCBS Inc. and probably any major reloading press manufacturer.

The gun stores usually have explanation materials concerning reloading in all aspects.

Good luck and you'll enjoy doing it, its almost as much fun as shooting the ammo.

Gunguy

Ballistic
    (12/18/02 3:48:04 pm)
    if its as much fun as you guys say it is, then i should be doing this since i was 15 or so, since i cant own a firearm till 18... im guessin that there is not age limit on reloading equipment? can you reload ANY caliber?

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/18/02 3:54:26 pm)
    I thought you couldn't buy ammunition or powder until you're 18 either, but I could be wrong.
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

Ballistic
    (12/18/02 4:44:16 pm)
    you cant buy ammo but you might be able to by "ammo pieces"

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/18/02 4:58:10 pm)
    Well, I guess you'll have to look into it. You *might* be able to buy the bullets, primers and cases, but I'm pretty sure the powder is an "over 18" item.
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

1badassmagnum
    (12/18/02 6:38:25 pm)
    I've been reloading a whole month.I spent about $300 on reloading equiptment(rcbs rock chucker master reloading kit).
    dies cost me about $40 per set.(total $400 including the $220 corbon set).
    I have handloaded about 700 rounds this month at a savings of about 60%.(factory loads are $1.00 per round,handloads 30 cents.
    I would have spent $700 shooting this month,it only cost me $200.
    I have been testing different powders,bullets casses etc.
    I spent another $150 on the rcbs piggyback unit because I'm spending too much time loading and not enough time shooting.
    one final point,it takes the same time to reload 50 ae as it does to reload 9mm.but the larger rounds are much more expensive and fun to shoot.I have spent the month making my rounds slowly by hand,checking and rechecking charges,sizing,and feel comfortable with my finished rounds.I feel the $1000 I spent on reloading was money well spent.

buckaroobarnes
    (12/19/02 1:36:55 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del oooh yeaaahhhh........
    Hey guys don't forget that the more money you save reloading the more money you have to spend on reolading equipment......I like to say I don't save a damn dime but I get to shoot a heck of a lot more!

Oh and always point that lee primer tool away from your face!

Ballistic
    (12/19/02 4:23:52 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: oooh yeaaahhhh........
    yea that makes it worth it, if i get more rounds for the same price then hell yea im gunna shoot a hell of a lot more...

the rounds i plan on reloading are: 30-06, 308, 223 those are the calibers of rifles im buying when i turn 18, after i am 21 i will upgrade to 45, and 50ae... what do i need to get started, whats a good easy to use reloader that makes a pretty good ammount too, i wont be makin many at first but after like 2 months of workin with it i think ill get faster...

Ballistic
    (12/19/02 4:25:19 am)
    oh yea i wanna reloading shotgun shells too, :p

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/19/02 6:20:17 pm)
    Ballistic -

You can't reload shotgun shells with a rifle/pistol reloading setup - you'll need a separate reloader for that, such as the MEC 600 Jr. These run on the auction sites for around $75, plus shipping. Separate dies are required for each gauge.

The rifle and pistol may be reloaded with the same press - again, different dies are required per caliber. You can start with the cheaper Lee single press and dies, a powder measure, funnel, lubricating pad, caliper and RELOADING MANUAL to get started, then upgrade as time goes by. RCBS also sells reloading kits with everything you need to get started.

It would take volumes to explain the ins and outs of reloading to you. The best advice is to acquire one of the many reloading manuals available at the gun stores (no age limit!) and read it throughly to get and idea of what you need and the methodology of reloading.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/20/02 3:37:36 am)
    Man, that sums it up, COMPLETELY.
    Rich

Ballistic
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/20/02 6:08:39 am)
    thanks alot for the info Kdub, do you have a specific manual in mind? also i was only planing on reloading 12gauge...

also i see u live in mesa and by yahoos maps looks to be about 15 miles east of phoenix, i go out to the California desert by Parker all the time, i also go the the colorado river and havasu quite a bit...

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/20/02 3:11:13 pm)
    Yup, Phoenix is a big suburb of ours to the West!

Of the current reloading manuals I have (Speer, Accurate Arms, Nosler, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon), none contain info on shotgun reloading. Alliant powder puts out a freebie that contains both rifle, pistol and shotgun loads for their powders. Olin also produces one. The MEC reloading kits also have load listings. Suggest you hit the websites of powder manufacturers to see what they have to offer.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

skinnypig8
    (12/25/02 11:53:29 pm)
    it's dangerous, but only if you're not paying attention. Always keep your mind on what you're doing and you'll be fine. i'm 15, have been reloading since i was 12 and haven't lost a finger yet, and this is loading for .38 special, .40 S&W, .30-30 winchester, .45-70 gvt., and .30 carbine. some people think that it's too dangerous to let a teenager load ammo, but i always pay attention to what i'm doing and don't try to hot rod calibers beyond their pressure limits.

Groundhog Devastation
    (1/8/03 8:24:14 pm)
    ballistic, Get yourself an RCBS Rockchucker kit which has everthing you need except dies to load any caliber you want. It's quality stuff and you won't wear it out! As far as the shotgun presses go the MEC 600 or MEC 650 will do you a good job for a lot of years to come. By all means get yourself a good reloading manual or two! The Hodgdon manual has loads for their powders as well as Alliant, DuPont IMR, and Winchester and a darn good selection of bullets for most every caliber out there. Hogdon also puts out a complimentary reloading booklet which is available at a lot of gunshops that contains rifle, pistol and shotgun data free of charge. Glad to see any young person interested in the shooting sports!!! GHD

1badmagnum
    (1/11/03 3:00:00 am)
    phoenix is an awesome town.I'd freakin move there if my wife wasnt so homesick for mommy and daddy.
    anyone who hasnt been to phoenix is missing something,stay at the butes,unbelieveable.colorado springs would be a close second choice.300 days of sunshine a year.
    outdoor shooting ranges,yea thats more like it !