Ammo that plays nice with my Kel Tec PF-9, please

Discussion in 'Disabled Hunters & Shooters Forum' started by GConn, Mar 12, 2011.

1. GConn

GConn Member

Hello all. I am looking for inexpensive target/practice ammo (FMJ) that is decent (Good SOLID Quality ... WILL perform), please?

Also if you could please let me know which brands/styles of Hollow Point (for Home Defense) I might look at - especially those which work well and are well-priced?

I suppose what I'm really asking is for referrals to the best suppliers.

Oh, also wondering if maybe I should keep a few +P around for ... "whatever reason"??
  2. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

I run the Winchester white box through my kel-tecs, for target practice.

Gold dot, or Winchester SXT defense ammo runs fine in them.

Buy local if you can.... support your local shop.
  3. GConn

GConn Member

Thank you very much for this reply.

I have for the past year-plus now, lived in an very small town, and have one shop, I think) locally that sells ammo.

I will price them tomorrow when they open,and see if it makes sense to buy from them - as well as checking the quality of whatever ammo they carry (we call it "the farm store" here and their supply is limited as they carry all sorts of items/goods, but I will be fair and check!).

Thanks again,
    glenn...
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

hmmm, even more incentive to buy that reloading manual and look at rollin your own ;)

Federal AE or Magtech is what I look for if I need some factory ammo. I've never had a problem with either.
  5. GConn

GConn Member

Yes sir thank you...I do need to look into it...not sure what my "concern" (fear?) is that is holding me up...?
  6. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

GConn, always check Walmart when you are in there. I picked up a 250 round bulk pack of Rem. UMC 115gr. fmj for $51.99. They had Win. White Box and Fed. for a couple bucks more for a 50 round box ($11 to $12) but the UMC was the cheapest that day. I was looking for range ammo to break in a new Glock 19 that I had just purchased and the UMC did nicely.
  7. GConn

GConn Member

Thank you sir...I most certainly will.

As much as I would simply like to buy everything local (and I plan to buy another box of target rounds tomorrow ...oops - Today!), I am on a "No Budget" (which is lower, than a "Low Budget"), which is also a fixed budget.

So I am very much needing to shop the best deals I can find on most things... thanks Chief!
  8. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

GC, I think most of us have to watch the budget. Buying store bought ammo can add up fast. What I do and what I think a lot of others do is buy the cheapest stuff they can find for range plinking and practice even knowing that it might not perform perfectly in a particular gun giving us a failure or two while at the range. But we don't use it as a carry load. I try some of the good stuff to make sure it performs well and that becomes the carry/defense load. Those bargain 115 gr. cartridges are not the most powerful or reliable stuff around and every gun has it's idiosyncrasies with ammo. I personally like the heavier bullets, 124 gr. and 147 gr., and find them more reliable.
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    We have these little "Farm Stores" here to, we call em Co-op's, they are an important part of living in the country. If these folks don't have what you want, ask them to check around to see if they can order them for you. You never know, they might want your business, and order what you need, and at a price you can live with!