ammo

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by tgsherman, Aug 6, 2012.

1. tgsherman

tgsherman New Member

What is the best non-steel casing cartridge to use in a Rock River Arms LAR-15, 5.56 Nato? Want it for target practice & just general use as protection. I was told to not use Wolf ammo or steel casing ammo.

Thanks
    TG
  2. CHW2021

CHW2021 Active Member

Not a direct answer, but if you know the barrel twist rate you can start with the bullet weight. Otherwise, buy a few different brands and see what make gives you the best accuracy.
    The "prohibition" re. steel cased ammo is from possible extraction problems that include the melting of the lacquer coating in the chamber as it heats up; the built up lacquer would need to be brushed away with solvent.
    Some rifles shoot wolf ect.... very well, others just don't like it at all. Individual results may vary, but, the cheaper steel cased ammo is and can be fine to shoot at the range.
  3. ignats

ignats Member

I've used Wolfe ammo mostly in 45ACP and never had a problem with it. I've even reloaded it without any problems. I've heard the stories about stuck cases etc, but I guess I've been lucky. I read an ad at one site that sells stating they were using a different coating material that would not cause problems, so I suppose there had been some complaints in the past. YMMV
  4. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Either will work. The average shooter will not be able to tell the difference between .223 Rem. and 5.56mm NATO rounds. The latter produces a little more pressure & velocity, but not enough to notice.

I don't use any steel cased ammo in my RRA AR rifle, but it's a personal choice. Your LAR-15 should be able to digest it fine. Cost wise, using the cheapest ammo for range fun makes sense, but I like to shoot the stuff I would use every day for defensive purposes.

Enjoy your RRA rifle, it's a good choice.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I'm never a big advocate of using steel case ammo in any AR but if that's what the budget allows then wolf is the only one that really works well. If your AR refuses to run properly on steel casings, don't be surprised or force it to. Never use Tula ammo.
  6. CHW2021

CHW2021 Active Member

Why do you say not to use Tula ammo?
  7. Cajun Chooter

Cajun Chooter New Member

I have shot Tula 223 ammo in my Bushmaster AR.. without any problems
    but i don't shoot rapid fire very much...(range here prohibits rapid fire) i have heard that shooting lots of rapid fire heats up the breach and melts the lacquer on steel casings.. wonder how the russian military uses it without problems ?
  8. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

I'm sure there's a ton of folks here that can suggest the best bullet weights/loads etc. But, I'd like to add that at the range (my backyard, I'm lucky) I shoot the cheapest Tul-Ammo and Herter's steel I can buy. I never shoot corrosive ammo mind you, but in plinking situations, why not shoot the cheapest ammo my gun will reliably feed/fire? I've never had an issue in my Windham Weaponry AR.
  9. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I've had a lot of luck with bulk surplus and pmc.
  10. Jonathan Metelski

Jonathan Metelski New Member

well tulammo and wolf i have heard of it rusting but if you look at brown bear it is steal cased but has a lacquer coating but even with that it can melt off iv very high heat. But if you go with silver bear it is steal cased but coated on ZINK works great.
  11. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Every box of PMC ive ever bought has at least 1 cartridge that failed to fire because of a dead primer.I guess thats why its cheap korean stuff so i just use my kinetic hammer and break it down and reload it.
  12. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I buy and shoot russian steel case coated ammo all the time and I can honestly say I have never had an issue.
  13. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

+1
  14. zant

zant Active Member

You can buy loaded ammo???:)......I've shot Wolf and Tula with NO problems(I prefer Tula primers,low ES)...but 99% of my 5.56 shooting is reloads.