Ammo??

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ryan_marine, Mar 12, 2006.

1. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

I don't know if this should be in reloading forum or not but; if so Admin move it there.

Now what ammo to you practice with? If you reload where is the best place to get bullets and which ones do you get?

Thanks

Ray
  2. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

one of the best 45ACP loaded ammo around is Winchester in the white box. Wal- mart has a good price of it all the time.

Reloading ammo ......can buy some on Midway or almost any gun shop, depending what type of load you want.
  3. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Kimber Man has a big supply in his range bag so next time your down this way just get Froggy to start talking to him and help your self Buffalo Jump does it all the time :eek: :D :p ;)
    Ron
    I don't stir the pot I just hold the lid for others
  4. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Uh huh. :rolleyes: :p :D :D

[​IMG]
  5. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Just keep the lid on 'til it explodes, Ron ?????????:D
  6. stash247

stash247 New Member

Ray, you need to reload!
    A 200 gr cast bullet, over 4 gr of Bullseye, is a safe, accurate and cheap load.
    I cast and roll my own, and recycle brass, so the cost per round is much less than a nickle.
  7. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

358 winchester

Now that wasn't nice.....................I have to look out for that Buffalo Jump guy........He went to 358 Winchester Training school....................

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  8. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

I do reload but my brass count is LOW. I guess I will have to go back to Fl and take some of 358 brass. I know I can have the wife sweet talk him out of some.

Ray
  9. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

I'm with Stash on this.

I cast 200 gr. Semi-wadcutters from straight wheelweights (http://www.rcbs.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=4&s2=9&s3=83&pg=3 45SWC-200 #82046). Using 3.5 to 4 gr. of Bullseye in GI brass, the cost is way less than a nickle per round. Makes great target/plinking ammo. Another good thing is, with those light loads your brass lasts forever!

You can often buy used GI brass (much better than civilian) at gunshows pretty cheap. Used wheelweights you can beg, buy, or steal from any tire store.....hey, give 'em a big sob story about how you're just back from the "Big Sandbox Over There" and don't have much $$$$$....maybe they'll give you some (doesn't hurt to try :D ).

Note: Using light loads like these, you may have to go to a lighter recoil spring.....12 to 14 lb. If you don't want to buy one, I can tell you how to make one from a standard 16 lb. spring.
  10. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

Lead? You bet with the tire balancers. Also older plumbers have some left from doing cast joints with lead seals. Look for old tackle boxes at sales too; can melt some of the old sinkers.

Brass can be obtained at the normal sources. When you go to the range to shoot; look around, a slob may have shot before you. I pick up about 10,000 cases per year at ranges. Not all .45; but it all trades. Also to build a good supply you can buy bricks every paycheck until you have what you need to keep you rolling for 3-5 reload cycles when your brass starts to get weak.
  11. stash247

stash247 New Member

Just a word or two, on wheelweights, for bullet alloy; they are not terribly consistant as far as antimony content
    Some, you can bend, with effort, with your fingers; the have a low (0-5%) antimony content, the softer having less; some, will break, rather than bend, these being as high as 9-10 % antimony.
    I use a plumber's pot and torch ( the torch sits atop a 30 pound propane bottle, the pot, on it), and take my wheelweights in 5 gallon buckets, to the pot, to melt. skim the clips, and dross, from the top of the pool, then pig the metal into 4 oz ingots. Take no more than half the pot, then add weights, to fill it again, skim, and pour ingots again.
    This allows you to even out the antimony content of the ingots, for more consistant alloy, as you remelt them later, to cast bullets, and cleans up the mess of dirt, grease, etc that came on the wheelweights, outside, so as not to stink up the garage, or loading room, when casting bullets from the ingots.
    If you cast your own, and the mold will drop 'em close to .453", (slightly oversized, I know), expect that they will cycle a well lubricated 1911 with a full (18#) spring, down to 2.7-3.0 gr of Bullseye; prolly 650-675 fps, muzzle.
    At 4.0-4.2 gr, Bullseye, they are target class accuracy loads, with enough penetration to hunt hogs, and such, if you sorted your bullets well.
  12. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

What about gas checks and such. I am interested in this. But what all will I have to buy to get started.

Thanks

Ray
  13. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

You don't need gas checks with low pressure pistol lead bullets like a .45 if your bullets are properly sized. Most lead .45 bullets are .452 while the jacketed ones are usually .451 I've found, so the little additional is what seals.

I used all 200 gr. H&G SWCs when I reloaded, I got them pretty cheap at the time, like $22/1000 picked up, and used 700x (mainly because that was what I used at the time for my 12 ga. reloads, I was too cheap to buy a DIFFERENT powder at the time, and they sell it in 1/2 # cans so there is less initial outlay each time...and I found some good .45 loads listed with it.) I'll have to look up how much, but I know I loaded down a little for practice, and up for matches and had no problems making major, didn't have to change springs, and the practice brass (I used once fired military, mainly) lasted FOREVER, I know I got 30-40 rounds out of most, with just an occasional trimming. I might cull a FEW every time from the REAL old ones, but I know I buggered more up in the press reloading them than I lost due to cracking or fatigue from use.

I remember the 700x was pretty dirty and smoky though, especially when it was hot out.

I just might have to set up the press again, I know I have everything out in the garage I need to get back into it, I wonder if 20 year old primers and powder will still work...
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  14. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Only one way to find out.
  15. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Nope, not a chance!

Besides that they are dangerous and unstable...If you'll send them to me I have the proper procedure ready to dispose of them.

:D