Ammunition Types

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Jester, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Jester

Jester New Member

I have a few questions concerning ammunition types. To get to the point:

1. Is it accurate to say that lead bullets have a habit of leaving deposits in the firearm at higher velocities? If so, does this permanently damage the firearm, or does it simply mean that the firearm should be cleaned more often?

2. Are "soft points" and "hollow points" synonymous?

3. It seems that full-metal jacketed bullets have a reputation for being less lethal, although they have more penetration power against hard materials like glass or wood. Conversely, hollow points seem to have a reputation for being more lethal, yet they have less penetration power against hard materials. Is this accurate?

4. Why is a flat tip on an armor-piercing bullet favored over a pointed tip?

5. What is the meaning (and advantages/disadvantages) of "boat-tail" ammunition?

6. What is meant by "high incendiary (HE)" rounds? Is there such a thing as "low incendiary" rounds? If so, what is the distinction?

Jester
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Hope this helps, this is just "in general" info and off the top of my head while trying to stay awake at 7 am. I'll come back later and hopefully provide some more in depth answers for you if this doesn't prove adequate. Keep the excerpts comin, good stuff !
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I think you missed on #6.

First, I've never heard of "high incendiary". HE is High Explosive. Incendiary starts fires. Totally different stuff.

I've heard of HEAT - High Explosive Anti Tank", but that is certainly not somehting that would be fired out of a rifle or pistol.

There are High yield Explosives and Low yield Explosives, though.
  4. Jester

Jester New Member

Thank you for pointing out my mistake; I realize now I was not attributing the term "HE" correctly.

Jester
  5. res45

res45 Member

If you like big rifles you can,check out rd #4 which is the standard ammo used in the 50 cal. sniper rifle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVdAl4IHnUQ