Amount of Guns & Ammo you can own Legally

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by johnlives4christ, Oct 29, 2010.

1. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i would think that there is no number of guns, or cases of ammo that a person could not own provided enough space and money.

but with the bs that is imposed on us either outright or through the back door today i wouldnt be surprised if there was a ceiling.

i know that there is a point where if you buy and sell guns too much the atf will suggest you get a license, even if you're doing it for your own personal enjoyment as a regular citizen.

so what would happen if you had several thousand, or several 10,000's of guns?

or what about several 100,000 rounds of ammo, or several 1,000,000?

would there be any legalities a person would need to pursue? any means of storage for that many guns or rounds of ammo?

i've heard that reloaders must store powder in certain manners depending on the quantity, is this true?

~john
  2. Jay

Jay New Member

I've been involved with firearms for 40 years, and have never heard anything about a limit on firearms or ammunition. I did hear something about powder, but I can't remember if it related to how much you could purchase at one time, or storage. I think that common sense would dictate storing 100 pounds of powder, a bit differently than 2 pounds.... but that's just my opinion, not that of an axpert..
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

John everyone would place limits on powder

for this ammount you need this ...

for that ammount you need this ...

and for a few ton you need a concrete bunker 1000 yards distant from any other building etc etc etc its a volatile explosive, ammo is a contained unit , with way lower risks

in the land of gun control they know how much you buy , even reloading stuff

hence my joy with the tap o cap, as caps are " a shall produce licence and ID " too

but all explosives are covered and i have a licence to have 5 lbs of BP here as its covered by my business licence plus the appropriate earthed steel storage box with approved lock, but just as a shooter i think its 2lb in this state , it was 3 lbs in South Australia , and just like here i think many places vary there too

when i travel in the USA thats one thing i have to watch , interstate transport of too much explosives is very touchy ( and especially as a non citizen )and the penalties start off in the heavy duty mess your pants area so i only carry my horn and one can in case i'm stopped some places allow a pound some are open and i never know ..

and with my flinters i remove the flints and the bolts from the rifles and lock em in a box as that rule varies too

US state law variation exceed aussie states differences , hmmm nice to know actually ;) so getting a simple answer may not be a simple thing
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I don't think there is a specific number of guns, or a specific amount of powder, but there is this thing called "hording"! Google "hording guns". If you have a lot of guns in your home, and the police have to enter for any reason, you might find your collection being taken from you.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech...h_notes.htm/60
    You can read the whole thing yourself. There is much here regarding ammo, powder and primers. These might represent "best practices" but until someone shows different I do not think these to be federal law.

2. Black Powder whether corned or serpentine is an explosive. Albiet a low-velocity explosive, it is because it is an explosive that the Feds have placed a 50 lbs. limit on personal use. Over 50 lbs. and you need certain permits which I have no further information on and I would bet $$ to donuts that there are specific requirements for your "storage magazine".
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  5. Jeff Midguard

Jeff Midguard New Member

I did have a temp. job once assisting a driver hauling explosives to a mine in AK. Laws are extremely restritive on hauling and storing any quantity of explosive material. Not sure hat the minimum is.
  6. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

Wait a minute! You are telling me, if the police have to come into my home for any reason, let's say my burglar alarm went off (because of a sensor failure) while I was out of town and the police responded and went into my house to make sure it was secure, they would carry off my gun safe and all its contents. That just don't sound right!
  7. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Lots of things "just don't sound right" anymore, but that's the world we've found ourselves in...

I'm tying to remember the specifics of a story where the police had to enter a mans home and all hell broke loose because he had so much ammo. I believe the amount was ten thousand rounds, my immediate thought was that a brick of .22 is 500 rounds, It's not that hard to imagine any normal man having a lot more than that if he were shooting several different calibers, but they said that this man was a hoarder and that he had tunnel vision. :rolleyes:

Crpdeth
  8. carver

carver Moderator

Most of these types of arrests are happening in those States that have restrictive gun laws, CA, IL, MA, etc.
  9. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Actually, I read something very similar to this a few months ago that happened in the NE somewhere.

If I remember, the police were called while the gun owner was out of town. When they entered to clear the home they found more than a dozen firearms and around 40k rounds of ammo.

All of these were confiscated and a warrant was issued for the owner. I think he was actually charged with "public" endangerment. (It seems because he lived in a populated "neighborhood", the ammo posed a "risk" to the public.)
  10. lawdawg

lawdawg Member

I've never known of any police agency in my area of the world to take someone's guns and/or ammo from their homes without just cause. A few years ago we discovered a cashe of weapons (literally thousands of guns and cases of ammo) in a man's home. The man was disabled ( both legs amputated), legally blind, and had mental problems. He lived alone and regularly called police because he thought "God Almighty" lived in his attic, and people were walking through his walls to harm him. He always greeted us in his wheelchair with a S&W J-Frame .38 in his lap.

One night we cleared his house after one of his first complaints just to humor him and discovered the overwhelming amount of guns that filled, floor to ceiling and wall to wall, several rooms in his house. Many of these guns were still in their original boxes and were some relatively expensive guns. After picking my jaw off the floor and wiping the drool from my chin, we assured him his house was clear and we left. The man, although he obviously had mental problems, was harmless. We never took the guns from his home and felt we had no reason to, although we did approach with a little more caution when he called us after that. Unto the day of his death, that man never used one of his many, MANY guns for harm to my knowledge. We worried more about someone stealing his guns than we did him using the guns for wrongdoing.

There is a very big difference in someone owning guns, even a large amount of guns, and someone owning guns wishing to use them for harm. It's really not that hard to know the difference in most cases. If this old man had ever become so delusional that he was a danger to himself and/or others, then it would probably been in everyone's best interest to remove those guns from his possession. But such was not the case. We possibly could have legally justified the confiscation of the guns due to his mental state, but why? He was harmless and we all knew it (although we made damn sure he knew it was the police knocking on his door when we resonded to his regular calls from then on).
  11. dge479

dge479 New Member

Whatever fits in your house is fine
  12. medalguy

medalguy Member

Powder storage is regulated by the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) and generally DOT concerning transportation and storage for commercial purposes. An individual is, I believe, allowed to store 25 pounds of powder in a residence, and 50 pounds in a residence provided it's stored in an approved magazine. There are various types of storage requirements depending on the amount of powder to be stored.

I built a magazine sufficient for more powder than I'll ever store behind my house (I'm in a rural area) and had my local county fire marshal check it over before I used it. I presently have about 200 pounds of powder there and I've had considerably more at times.

I'm not aware of any limitations on ammunition and certainly not firearms. However many guns you currently have, you need more, in my opinion.
  13. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

wonder what they would do to you if you have too much powder stored in the wrong way.
  14. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

15. carver

carver Moderator

Lawdawg, what do you suppose would have happened to this man's horde of guns had your Chief been one of those men who thought that only cops, and soldiers should have guns? Or maybe the DA, or the Mayor?

Another thing we all might want to consider is to notify the Fire Dept. of any powder/ammo that you keep in your home. They don't really like responding to a fire and have a bunch of ammo going off while they are trying to save your house. There are stickers that you can use on your windows to notify Fire Dept personell of what is in a room. I don't recommend advertizing, but I do advocate just telling them. I live in a rual area, and the Fire Depts. here are completly all volunteer. Some of these men are my neighbors, and I have worked with some of them.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2010